Royal Nonesuch Farm

Yeah my labels came almost completely off on mine. Cool looking label though.

Good to hear the juice is good. Sitting on my sixer. Yes the labels are peeling on mine too

New to the WB forum and apologies if I’m overlooking them, but any updates on Royal Nonesuch since the last post in January. I did not get any of the 2016 Royal Nonesuch and have yet to taste this particular effort from Anthony, but am contemplating: 1) joining their club, ‘sight unseen’, 2) taking my chances at placing an order on 8/27 when non-club purchases are allowed, or 3) skipping it altogether. Recognizing their history is relatively short, any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It looks like the second release will be next week. The note below arrived in my inbox earlier in the week. Unfortunately, I won’t be much help with a tasting note. It appears the extent of my note on the sole bottle I’ve opened was “good…continue to buy.” For me that says a lot. For you not so much so.

Now the Fun Stuff!

2017 is a landmark vintage for us, not just because we got all of the vines to bear a little fruit, but also because we were finally able to make the wine we set out to make — a Grenache driven blend with support from Syrah, Graciano, and a little Clairette Blanche.

We have always set out to make a wine that speaks purely of the site in which it was grown — preferring to be stewards of this incredible piece of land instead of flexing our muscles as winemakers. We do this by harvesting when the grapes reach their peak level of ripeness (and not one bit more), using native yeast co-fermentations in foudre or concrete, and aging in neutral oak.

When Hillary and I sat down to make the final blend for the 2017 Royal Nonesuch Farm, we contemplated making two different wines — we even mocked them up. We also tasted through versions without one barrel that showed a little funky reduction. However, after tasting dozens of iterations of wines, we came to the now obvious conclusion that the best wine we could possibly make was everything this vineyard has to offer — nothing taken away, nothing added. The wine, as a result, is incredibly generous, offering intense aromatics and flavors with supple, yet still slightly grippy tannins and enticing freshness.

2017 Royal Nonesuch Farm: This is the wine we set out to make when we planted the Royal Nonesuch Farm. It is suspenseful — with an elegant and sultry nose but a powerful and luscious texture. An absolutely stunning bouquet of violets, raspberries, black pepper and anise introduce this seductive wine. The palate swaggers with flavors of blackberry, cocoa, chaparral and lavender as it evolves into a seamless, round, yet bright finish that lasts for days (if we could just keep from drinking it all tonight). 48% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 20% Graciano, 2% Clairette Blanche. Fermented with 40% whole clusters. Aged for 18 months in used 500L, 320L, and 225L barrels. 327 cases produced.

Also, I’d like to apologize for last year’s labels — we printed them on double-ply paper, and after embossing them, we just didn’t seem to have enough adhesive to keep the labels from peeling off the bottles. We re-printed the labels for the 2017 vintage and do not expect the same issue. I am sorry for the inconvenience this caused many of you.

Again, if you’re interested in more than 6 bottles, please email/call me at anthony@kinerocellars.com or 805-215-2442.

Thank you for joining us on this adventure!

Anthony, Hillary and All The Critters

2017 release is open. Missed the initial offering so jumped on this immediately. Looking forward to trying it!

"2017 Royal Nonesuch Farm: This is the wine we set out to make when we planted the Royal Nonesuch Farm. It is suspenseful — with an elegant and sultry nose but a powerful and luscious texture. An absolutely stunning bouquet of violets, raspberries, black pepper and anise introduce this seductive wine. The palate swaggers with flavors of blackberry, cocoa, chaparral and lavender as it evolves into a seamless, round, yet bright finish that lasts for days (if we could just keep from drinking it all tonight). 48% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 20% Graciano, 2% Clairette Blanche. Fermented with 40% whole clusters. Aged for 18 months in used 500L, 320L, and 225L barrels. 327 cases produced."

I just purchased a three pack and see what it is all about :slight_smile: Thanks for the rec!

Received and opened one of the 2017s. My first experience, and an excellent one so far!

Got 9 of them. Need to delve into one to see if they are as tasty as I am hoping. Thanks for the quick note!

I tasted this wine in August and it was drinking extremely well as a pop and pour, as is the 2016.

17: PNP, first sip, yummy!

A bump as the 2019 release is next week…also two bonus releases for white wine and a grenache!

Greetings from York Mountain!

On August 25th, we will be releasing the fourth vintage of The Royal Nonesuch Farm Red and I cannot wait to share it with you!

In addition to our estate red wine that we produce every year, we are also releasing two very small production single-variety wines:

The 2018 Hokum is 100% Grenache from own-rooted, head-trained, dry-farmed vines planted in sand — it was the very first block we planted back in 2013, and also where I asked Hillary to marry me.

The 2019 Royal Nonesuch Farm White is 100% Clairette Blanche (ok — there’s a few Roussanne vines in there, but who’s counting?) also from dry-farmed, head-trained vines.

Dark and brooding aromas of violets, blackberry, pepper, and olive tapenade introduce the 4th vintage of The Royal Nonesuch Farm Red. Flavors of black cherry, seared ribeye, and wild mushrooms intermingle with a hint of chaparral and hoisin. The midpalate is concentrated, with a compelling velvety texture that freshens on the very long finish.
40% Grenache, 30% Syrah, 28% Graciano, 2% Clairette Blanche
Fermented with 45% whole clusters. Aged for 20 months in 225L barrels, 16% new French oak.
229 cases produced.
$65

The 2019 Royal Nonesuch Farm White offers a wonderful mix of citrus and savory elements on the nose: lemon peel, miso, lime, flint, and roasted pistachio. It packs flavors of pomelo, brioche, muddled Asian pear, and bouillon. The palate offers an unctuous texture that is cut with precise acidity and impressive length.
100% Clairette Blanche
Aged for 20 months in 50% new French oak barrels.
45 cases produced.
$55

An extraordinary example of elegance and power, the 2018 Hokum offers irresistible aromas of rose petal, white pepper, framboise, smoked paprika, and fennel pollen. The palate is filled with layers of huckleberry, grenadine, Chorizo Seco, and truffles. It finishes with a stunning combination of full-bodied richness, beautiful texture, and no shortage of seamless tannins.
100% Grenache
Aged for 20 months in one 500L used French oak barrel.
50 cases produced.
$65

Got 4 white, 2 Hokum and the usual 6 pack. Over the last two weeks I tried the 2018 white and both ‘17 and ‘18 reds.
The style is quite moderate for Paso and the wines remain excellently priced.