Roy Pipers project

[rofl.gif]

Winning!

The name would certainly get lot’s of attention.

I think Roy’s initials have a nice ring to it…

RP100

Paul, that is very good.

Franc de Pied Piper?

Carlos,
thanks for the early notes.

Roy,
Congrats on your upcoming release. the GIII blends are very, very intriguing. I’d love to sample them (hint, hint… bring them to Carries?). Wish you all the best in your venture.

Wow, thanks everyone. I might do a naming contest, but I do have a few backups that have some personal meaning to me I might use. I’ve got the brand managing firm for Restoration Hardware (Hoffman Chrisman) making my label and site, so it is slowly in the works. But I am open-minded to ideas! Scott, anything with Piper in it would be covered by Piper Heidsieck’s trademark. Even a silhouette of a piper is covered. Paul, a retailer suggested RP100 to me some time ago, which would certainly have an advantage. Ha! Roy is taken by Roy Estate. My middle name by Benton Lane, and of course the last name is way out of bounds. I had a nice label for “Piper” that I designed myself, too. Grrrr. Thanks for the interest!

Ripernon

C’est ne pas vrais?

Hmmmm… Piro Wines Pi(per) Ro(y). You could have all kinds of flames coming out of the label. Hideous, I kid.

It’s amazing to see how many names are taken. Longfellow (he was a piper virtuoso) taken. Highlands ( i’m thinking home of the piper) taken. By the way…thread drift…what ever happened to Bruce Scotland? He was so active in the 90s. Cornerstone, Highlands, L’ecosse, Scotland Craig…then he seemed to disappear. I used to buy wine from him when he had his own wine shop…

Thank you, Linda. At least someone appreciates my childish sense of humor. [cheers.gif]

Hi Roy –

Any update on your project and site? I’ve been curious about this since this thread first went up.

Cheers [cheers.gif]

The Wisconsin winery that buys fruit from CA?

Not much going on, just the way I like it. Malo is all done on the 2011, which I am really happy about, and probably under 14% alcohol to boot. The 10 is continuing to improve but is probably in need of a racking, as it has only had one in total, and I can sense it needs a breath of fresh air. I am looking for a third vineyard to add to my current two, but a lot of people are on vacation right now, so it is hard to reach growers. My blog is about 30-40 days out, as will be the mailing list. I am also working on another personal (and very different kind) of wine project that might be 3 months out. This is going to be a fun year.

Roy, I’m sure you are already getting this advice but it doesn’t work. In Trademarks, what matters is the English translation of the foreign word.

We filed our trademark on the name “Zenith Vineyard” on May 24, 2007. On May 29, 2007 the following was filed:

VIÑAS DEL CENIT
Translations “The foreign wording in the mark translates into English as VINEYARD OF THE ZENITH.”
Goods and Services (ABANDONED) IC 033. US 047 049. G & S: Wine; Wines
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Serial Number 77191637
Filing Date May 29, 2007

Because we predated their filing by 5 days and their mark meant the same, in English, as my mark, their mark was summarily rejected.

And I had the same issue with “Ramey” so I feel your pain.

I know it would seem a little backwards but how about Repipyor?

you could also just go with Linsanity…as that is all that anybody is talking about nowadays…

… and Moulds in Oak Knoll (used by Merus and Buccella).

And Behrens/Erna.

About the name; Rowdy Roddy or Pied Roy.

Sounds like my kind of wine. I’ve got another brand new GIII teed up today for dnner with Flannery Hangar Steaks. Just make sure you sell it to people (moi, moi, moi) who understand the beauty of deliciously intense, multi-flavored California Cab. I think you should develop a mailing list by reviewing the applicants’ tasting notes on CT and sell to those who will appreciate it. Here is my application: [stirthepothal.gif]

• 2007 Saxum James Berry Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Paso Robles (4/25/2010)
    Per Justin Strider Smith, I double decanted this in the morning (9:30 am) and then brought it to the second irregular Not Lisa dinner at Peking Duck House in Manhattan. The decant made the wine, at least with its primary flavors, ready to drink now. Beautiful strong dark fruits that go down like velvet. Raspberry and Blueberry predominate. A touch of vanilla, allspice, and a faint pepper in the background. Color was dark, almost opaque. Nose was perfumed fruit and exotically sexy. Alcohol was not a material component of the flavor profile becauase of phenomenal balance. I do not believe in perfection when it comes to wine grades, but if this gets better with age (I have 5 more 750s and a mag to stretch out over the next 10 years or so), it will poke into the 99 pt range. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2004 Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Galitzine Vineyard - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley, Red Mountain (12/29/2007)
    WOW. This is a great wine now, and if others are right about its aging potential, it will be a legend in 10 years. Popped and poured at The Palm steakhouse in NYC. The nose was very strong. Red fruit, vanilla and a hint of oak. Color was dark red but not blackish in the glass. On the palate, it was red fruit, coffee, chocolate, and some vanilla. Extremely smooth mouth feel. I was afraid at 3 years old it would be a tannic bomb with astringency and mouth puckering force, but it was not. The tannins were soft and almost sweet. The feel in the mouth was a cross between cream and velvet. My personal rating system requires a transcendent religious experience in which you get to contemple the hand of a Supreme Being in the making of the wine in order to get more than 95 points and this was damn close to that. Maybe my one other bottle, that I hope I have the patience to hold for 10 years, will get into that range. (95 pts.)

• 2007 Outpost Cabernet Sauvignon True Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley, Howell Mountain (6/5/2010)
    Double decanted and then sat in the bottle for 8 hours before drinking. Nose is undifferentiated red fruit. Palate is red fruit, pepper spice, vanilla, and some chocolate. I do not know for sure where this wine will go in 10 years, but you do not have to wait that long. The tanins are sweet - no astringent implosion. After the rather long decant, the wine was drinkable and approachable now. There are lots of flavors waiting to break out, and I think this will improve with age as tertiary flavors develop. We brought this bottle to X2O in Yonkers, one of Peter Kelly’s great restaurants. I drank this wine with their braised short rib ravioli, which is a lot more about the short ribs and a lot less about the ravioli. It was an extremely strong dish and an excellent pairing with the wine. The color was quite dark and the finish was long. Note that this needed the decant for sediment, as well as for air. There was a lot of dark crud in the bottom of the decanted after I poured 99% of the wine back into the bottle. (95 pts.)

Roy Piper Wines? Works for me. [cheers.gif]