Roussanne, Marsanne, combination?

Ah yes … this was the “mid-level Chapoutier” my post referred to!

I would be happy to do a Roussanne - Marsanne tasting in New York around mid-April. Right time of year for the wines. Though I probably wouldn’t want to do it right on ‘send a chunk to unk’ day. April 15th is a Saturday.

Dan Kravitz

Dan

Just back from a short trip to Lyon/St Remy and we loved the Domaine d’Eole 2015 Confidence which is 100% Roussanne. His 2015 100% Vermentino (French call it Rolle) aged in concrete egg tanks is also very good. The Terres Blanche 2015 white blend was also very good. Would love to see you import some 2015 whites from the St Remy area into the US.

mark meyer

I had a brief fling with this as a blended wine back in the late 80’s or early 90’s…

The joke was on me and Randall as the Roussanne turned out to actually be Viognier!

Le Sophiste…and the name turned out to apropos!

I have had great Roussanne and really good Marsanne. I like both very much. Do not know if I have had them together unless part of a kitchen sink-like white. Would likely enjoy them together.

I am more of a fan of Marsanne or predominately Marsanne wines especially during the winter. Give me a Hermitage blanc over CDP any day. In the winter I love a rich lobster based dish with a white Northern Rhone. I prefer Hermitage but some Crozes Hermitage and St. Josephs from good vintage can still be very enjoyable and a good alternative when I am buying off a restaurant wine list and don’t want to blow a month’s grocery budget in one shot.

P.S. - I have enjoyed many viogniers from the hallowed vineyards of the Northern Rhone to the humble fields of Central inland California to North Georgia (USA). Love them.

Dan -

Be on the lookout for, or pick up next time you’re in the Rhone, Alain Voge’s St. Peray ‘Fleur de Crussol.’ 100% Marsanne, 70 year old vines. May be my favorite of all the wines Voge produces.

And be sure to hike up to 12th century Chateau de Crussol just outside the village of St. Peray, both for the haunting ruins and the spectacular views.
Photo: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/19/Crussol_2003-11-01_010.jpg

Cheers!
Bob

Wow Bob - I will put that on the must visit list.

Dan- I like wines with both grapes individually and blended. I think Chapoutier’s Les Granits can be an excellent example of Marsanne. I also enjoy the SQN whites that have a blend of Roussanne, Viognier and Chardonnay and lately have a little Marsanne and Petit Manseng as well.

Greg

Roussanne/Marsanne blend is my least favorite wine of all. I have yet to have an example that makes me want to take more than two sips. Maybe one day, but not anytime soon. I feel confident I’m on an island on this one.

I have produced a 50/50 blend of Marsanne and Roussanne for the past 4 years and love it. As many above noted, It’s definitely a winter wine for me.

PM me your address and I’ll be happy to send one to you for you to try it .

I HATE the combination also! [wink.gif] [wink.gif] [wink.gif]