rosé for 2016

Just scratching the surface, but these three 2015 Italians are my faves thus far.
Lunae Vermentino Nero Mea Rosa Liguria
Regaleali Nerello Mascalese Le Rose Sicily
Ioppa Nebbiolo Rusin Rosato Colline Novaresi
It’s more of a year around thing here, 90 yesterday and 79 today. [cheers.gif]

Just picked up 4 bottles of the Arnot Roberts 2015 Rosé for $17.24 plus tax (CO) wine store was buy one at full and 2nd for 50% off!

Paid $28 each for the 2013 delivered!

Ser Winery '15 Rose of Nebbiolo is a home run. Purpose made, vibrant and compelling.

The other big hit I’ve tried recently is the Waxwing '15 Love Ranch. Also purpose made. 95% Counoise, 5% Riesling.

One thing that’s tough about these rose threads is that out of the first 100 roses suggested, about 95 different ones are recommended, so it’s hard to read these threads and really come out with any ideas.

I guess it’s good in that it reflects the reality of there being so many good and reasonably priced roses out there, but it would be easier if some kind of consensus formed around a few available wines.

Many of the really good ones are small production.

And to be clear, I’m not criticizing anyone or questioning anyone’s recommendations, it’s more just an observation after seeing this thread every year.

If you ask 50 people for a recommendation for your new home stereo and you get 50 different recommendations, your decision is now at least as hard and probably harder than before you asked in the first place. You’d hope that one or two stereos get large numbers of recommendations so you can focus on those ones.

Chris, that’s an interesting and apt comment. I’m prepared to believe that there are literally dozens of great Roses. But if that’s the case, it would actually be a lot more useful if people posted more about which Roses are crap this year, so we could at least have some information about what to avoid.

To put my money where my mouth is, I’ll say that the 2015 Schloss Gobelsburg Cistercian is not as good for my tastes as last year’s, while the Bedrock Ode to Lulu is good this year, but I was not particularly impressed with the 2014.

Also, that everyone should be saving some Rose to drink with a bit of age on it – Cep 2012 for example is drinking great right now, and much better (IMHO) than upon release.

Here’s another largely unhelpful endorsement of a tiny production, but the 2014 Campesino Rose is great. Relatively big Grenache fruit, but crisp and refreshing. My first campesino wine and a berserker day purchase.

I agree on Ode to Lulu, some years have been superb, others not at all to my liking, and the color and style have moved around a lot from one vintage to the next. Due to the unknown, I stopped ordering it, since I have to buy it sight unseen.

I also agree that many roses are better a year or two after the release than in their first year, at least for my tastes.

If you go back a decade, the U.S. market for dry rose was much smaller. There, you’d mostly look to some specific merchants for good imports. The good domestic ones tended to be extremely small. like a winemaker keeping 5 cases for himself and putting the other 20 cases on the market. The advice then was, yeah you’re skeptical about rose, but if you see one from a producer you respect, get it to try. It’s a labor of love. And, you’ll likely never see a bottle of rose from that producer again.

Nowadays, you still have the issue of small production wines. If you’re seeking a specific wine, you aren’t likely to find it at any one given store. But, you can probably count on the recommendations here were bought from favorite merchants and wineries. Find a good source and there’ll likely be other good stuff to round out an order. Or, just look into the offerings at merchants you already trust.

I think it’s more that a large number of rosés don’t stand out enough for there to be a single thread for each and/or many people don’t take them as seriously as table wines. Thus we lump them into a thread. JMO.

I’ll second that, unfortunately I got allocated 0 bottles. A friend who is higher up on the list was nice enough to share one and now I’m dying to know what I have to do to get Jamie to sell me some.

2015 Crowley Rose of Pinot Noir - dynamite! First rosè for Crowley, but jumps to the top of my favorite OR rosès. At $18/bottle, a no brainier.

Opened my first Tercero 2015 Mourvedre Rose last night with friends and it was so delicious! We were out for sushi, I offered to bring the wine and they requested Rose. I am so glad I ordered a few of these since it was just a perfect balance … soft and subtle. Not a drop left and big smiles all around - what a treat.

Went through all 6 of my 2015 Kutch Rose’ of Pinot Noir. Next year I will buy more.

Was served a glass of '15 Mulderbosch Rose (Cab Sauv). Couldn’t believe how pithy and Bandolesque it tasted. Has to be inexpensive. Maybe the best warm weather Rose I’ve had this summer to date vs. several French and a few Spanish bottles which would no doubt have cost more.

I too have fond memories of the Mulderbosch Rose (Cab Sauv)…but not in the current system here in AB.

edit…could be some downtown checking out control board website?

Lieu Dit Rose of Pinot Noir 2015, tension and balance and flavor.

Thanks Siun . . . just wish I made more of it :slight_smile:

Cheers!