Rome restaurant advice?

Yeah, Roscioli is the bomb. Truly. Don’t skip it just because it’s the obvious choice.

2 Likes

Our favorite in Rome is hands down, Da Francesca.

Our favorite local (tonda style) pizza is L’Archetto in Prati

Our favorite wine bars are:
Buccone, Cul de Sac and Al Vino al Vino

My favorite local bakery is Mosca Panificio at 16 Via Candia in Prati. Try the rosso.

Don’t forget Bonci’s Pizzarium

I have more if you need more

1 Like

Pile on the love for Roscioli, but I also followed Mike’s advice and hit Da Francesca a couple times summer 2021. Excellent. Food, wine, vibe…I was perusing the list and the waiter said follow me and we walked across the street to their wine storage and I picked out my bottles.

Yeah. First time trying Cannonau di Sardegna was a recco out of that room. Amazing specials offered daily. I had a near life changing osso buco there once that still haunts me.

2 Likes

@JDavisRoby- they enjoyed it and believe it was over lunch. I don’t recall them specifically calling anything out though. They loved our lunch at Roscoli as well. It turned into almost a 4 hour meal as they let us stay at our table through most of the shift change.

We’ll be in Rome for Ryder Cup wknd. I’ve got Roscoli and Pulejo booked https://pulejo.it/ and just need to nail down Friday night which is the day we’re going the Ryder Cup. Has anyone been to Cesare al Pellegrino ? The folks at Trattoria da Cesare have reopened Settimio al Pellegrino and it’s right near our hotel. Early reviews look good. I’m thinking about there or Da Francesco.

Fred, too bad, I will be there one week later. A meal together could have been fun.

Mike, we’re coming back to Rome at the end of the trip to fly home unless I extend the trip for work. We may be able to do this and go to Da Francesco. I’ll ping you directly.

1 Like

I was hoping to have lunch at Roscioli but they’re booked.

depending on the day and your flexibility you might be able to grab a lunch slot from the waitlist. We went back on our last trip for an extra visit and snagged a late table for lunch by dropping by and chatting to the host.

2 Likes

Not been to the new Settimio but it’s on my lit to try. You should go. Also in the center you should try Achilli al Parlamento

1 Like

Not sure if mentioned elsewhere but a true Roman dining experience can be had at Ristorante Pancrazio dal 1922. Great historic location. Ask to see the cellar and it’s layers of history.

We ended up having dinner at Il Pagliaccio. Wonderful experience.

Went with the “Discovery” tasting menu.

Wine list was very deep and fairly priced. We chose

Marc Hebrart NV Mes Favorites Vieilles Vignes Champagne
2015 Castello di Monsanto Il Poggio Chianti Classico Gran Selezione
2003 Damilano Barolo Cannubi

All showed very nicely.

The service was amazing and would recommend to anyone visiting Rome.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. Roscioli was amazing! If you have the opportunity, DO NOT miss this restaurant, it was by far the best meal while in Rome. Their Amatriciana is so good, you’ll write home about it.

2 Likes

Make yourRoschioli reservation 3 months ahead if you want dinner earlier than 9:30

Even better if you can do 6 months ahead. We’ll be there Saturday of Ryder Cup weekend. I grabbed it as soon as they opened up the books.

A little off topic but for Bourdain fans his visit to Rome in Season 6 of No Reservations includes a great stop at Roschioli. While many people remember is focus on Cacio e pepe he follws it up with a terrific stop/profile at Roschioli.

Ate at Roscioli last night. We’ve been going since @Riccardo_Campinoti recommended it on eBob more than a dozen years ago. Same waiter with the dreads and chin whiskers. Same great food and wine. Ate burrata w/truffle pearls and carbonara. Drank Pieropan Soave La Rocca. We’ve gone two nights in succession before, but not tonight.

1 Like

sweet, we’re there next Saturday.

When I was at Roscioli last week, 3 of 4 courses were great:

Eggplant Caponata
Caico e Pepe
Carbonara

The Calabrian spicy sardines were disappointing; not spicey, and just ok. Nola’s sardines blow them away.

Drank a nice barolo BTG (casein’s Fontana, thanks JohnP who mentioned it upthread).

1 Like

When I was at Roscioli last summer, this dish was unbelievably good, the best of anything we ate in Italy:

RAVIOLO DI CODA E PECORINO
homemade raviolo filled with roman oxtail and pecorino cheese and served in a light foie gras sauce and slightly spicy slowly cooked figs

2 Likes