Rome area hotel question

Every now and then a weird little synchronicity emerges.

I’ve been thinking about Armando, pasta alla gricia, and Rome in general lately. Not just because of your post, Joe, but because my wife and I like to travel to Rome this time of year - our wedding anniversary - and unfortunately have had to put it off until next Fall. I was also wondering about our advice to you, whether these simple little variations on simple, age-old dishes would be interesting to anyone but the most obsessive, and quite possibly even boring to many. I very nearly posted a list of the piatti canonici - basically, “Roman daily specials” - and though I still think it’s a worthy way of experiencing the best of culinary Rome, I wonder how many people would seek out riso e indivia in brodo on Mondays, pasta e ceci on Tuesdays, etc. And then I thought, its’ not really necessary as by and large the menus at the classic spots still basically conform to the canon.

So it was refreshing to read Frank Bruni’s column in today’s Times. He’s now on the Op-Ed page, so there’s (gasp) “politics”. But I read it more as a cultural piece:

ROME — I consider myself an adventurer, especially on the culinary front. I have consumed livers, kidneys and brains. I have eaten an Amazonian herb that numbs your tongue, which sort of nullifies the point of eating, and I have tried shrimp that were still alive — still wriggling — until the downward chomp of my incisors.

But on a recent visit here, I had pasta alla gricia on the first night, then pasta alla gricia on the second night, then pasta alla gricia on the third and fourth. There’s only one possible explanation, which is of course [politics]

Before I elaborate on that, I should explain pasta alla gricia. It doesn’t enjoy the fame outside of Italy that it deserves. It’s essentially pasta alla carbonara minus the egg: less gooeyness, less guilt. “Lighter than carbonara” is how I often describe it, although [politics]

It can be made with bucatini. It can be made with rigatoni. It could probably be made with shoelaces and still be worth ordering. It’s proof, like many Italian delicacies, that the communion of fat (it’s studded with crispy bits of pork cheek) and salt (it’s deluged with pecorino cheese) is the most reliable ticket to heaven. And it was one of my go-to dishes when I lived here many years ago.

But four dinners in a row? That was unheard-of. It made me realize how much I relish constancy now. And it got me to thinking about how underrated sameness is.

Over the past 25 years, Italy has changed prime ministers 13 times. It has swung this way and that. At this point it’s more or less dangling … There’s no clear national purpose, no steady national trajectory, no sturdy sense of control. Italians wait, somewhat helplessly, to see what happens next.

But their rituals, their families and their food — these are governable and protectable across time. They’re the engines of stability. They’re the agents of solace. Italians cling to them more fiercely, and with greater pride, than we Americans embrace our kin and our ways.

I used to view this with a mixture of admiration and ridicule. When I lived in Rome, I often groused about how many restaurants had almost identical menus and how inviolable the rules and rhythm of Italian meals could be. Cappuccino at breakfast but never after dinner. Beer with pizza but not with pasta.

On return trips to the Eternal City, I occasionally rolled my eyes at the changelessness of it all. Here a carbonara, there a gricia, everywhere a cacio e pepe. Italians, I decided, wanted for imagination. They lacked daring.

Maybe so. But this time around I felt only respect and gratitude for what they do have: the discernment to recognize a sweet spot — or rather, a fatty, salty one — when they find it and the wisdom not to abandon it on the unsupported chance that there’s better around the bend.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/opinion/pasta-trump.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=opinion-c-col-left-region&region=opinion-c-col-left-region&WT.nav=opinion-c-col-left-region

We’re planning a future trip. We’ve never been to Rome and looking to do 3 nights. Thoughts on either the Westin Excelsior in Via Vittorio or The Pantheon Iconic a new Autograph Marriott property near the Pantheon ? Looking for any feedback.

thanks

1 Like

We used VRBO for 4 nights and stayed in an apartment here.

Piazza Campo de’ Fiori 19
Roma, Lazio 00186

Fred, the Westin Excelsior is far up Via Veneto (the full name is Via Vittorio Veneto, but it is most commonly referred to as Via Veneto). We’ve stayed at the Grand Hotel next door to it, which is also lovely. While home to some of the grandest hotels in Rome, the Via Veneto is inconvenient to most of the sights of Rome. Our preferred location is closer to the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area as it is much closer to most of Rome’s attractions.

1 Like

The new Autograph property is right in this area and 200 meters or so from Armando’s. We’re booked there.

Both Stanley Tucci’s show and Bobby Flay’s on Discovery + visited Armando’s. A lot of love and on our list for sure.

We usually stay within a few blocks of the Campo di Fiori. It’s really central and a comfortable walk to many places of interest. The Campo itself has a great daily market and it’s close to all the Roscioli restaurants. Mmm. Italy is really good for rentals. I’d look at AirBnb or VRBO if you are staying more than 2-3 nights.