Robert Parker retires

+1

Whether you agree or disagree with a lot of his stuff, he had an utterly remarkable career that I dare say probably anyone here would kill for.

Here’s another wish for a happy retirement.

Her telling of the early years reminds me of how much I admired Parker when I was first getting into wine in the early 80s. But I wish that this false myth would be put to bed.

“In 1983, Parker’s controversial glowing reviews of the 1982 Bordeaux vintage, tasted from barrels in the wineries, created a stir among most other major wine writers who felt the vintage was too ripe and the wines wouldn’t age.”

I was a voracious reader of wine criticism in those days, at at least for publications widely available in the US, the 1982 vintage received nearly universal acclaim.

He was very influential on me when I started to cut my teeth in this great and wonderous hobby. And he taught me to rely on my own palate and not that of others, and that is an invaluable lesson. Thank you RMP and enjoy your retirement to the fullest.

Here is a toast to Bob, his health and more time with family and friends.

I wish him well. I never subscribed to the WA nor did I buy much Bordeaux, and by the time I was willing to spend more than a few dollars on a bottle, I had decided what I liked. But I always respected what he brought to the world of wine. People blame him for “globalization” and such, but he forced nobody to do anything and he was willing to defend the wines that he liked. Without him I wonder if the Rhone or California would be where they are today.

He won’t be replaced.

I’ve heard that his health is not great, so I sincerely hope that he can enjoy his retirement, and more importantly, I hope that he can still enjoy wine! All the best to him.

And just a suggestion, but they should really ask Joe Cz to proofread Lisa’s work so the awkward syntax can be corrected. For a tribute, her note is less than inspiring:

“The father of modern wine criticism, our publication’s founder and namesake, my greatest mentor and a dear friend, it is with mixed feelings. . .”

Jamie Goode’s comments; Jamie Goode's wine blog – blogging about wine since 2001

I wish him all the best in retirement.
He’s an interesting man with an undeniable passion for wine.

His legacy?.. 84+

I came into the wine scene after his heyday, but completely appreciate what he did for the market. I’ll admit I own some of his books too, which provide some good insight as long as they are approached cautiously.

Wine buying prior to 1978 was much more fun, California was doing just fine.

Other than further commoditization of wine, I don’t see the benefit, at all. I feel like he turned the New York Times Review of Books into TMZ.

Agreed, nicely put.

I wish him well in retirement. It must not be an easy thing to do knowing that your life’s work will be destroyed.

Ashes to ashes, punt to punt.

He did a lot for the wine world, like it or not.

I raise a glass and wish him well in his retirement. I have fun memories of the Board and interactions with him. Cheers! champagne.gif [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Well, that opening sentence tells me LPB can’t write.

I think a lot of people who came to TWA after Bob had been publishing it for several years don’t realize that in the early years Bob spent a lot of time describing the wine-making history of whatever region he was reviewing and explaining various elements of the entire process. As a result, most readers back then learned a ton from him. Hell, how else would I have known the importance of proper cellaring when I was just 22 years old?

PS - and it was Bob, not David Schildknecht, that got me interested in Truchot!

I think it was Terry Robards (?) and Robert Finnegan, both relatively well-known wine writers at the time, who disagreed with Bob on the ‘82 vintage. Others agreed with him.

I would like to send out my thanks to Bob. He brought my attention to many fantastic wines and helped me define what I liked and didn’t like. Helping me find my own way whether I agreed with him or not. I add my hope for a healthy and happy retirement for him and his wife.

Robert Finnegan’s books are fun to read. Not a ton of people remember him now.

Only 11 posts so far on WA Forum vs 37 here!

Most of the brits disagreed too as I recall.