RIP RTP Latham Richard

I think he was excommunicated on BWE too, perhaps after disagreeing over the selection criteria for the 2010 WOTY.

Gender pronouns get complicated sometimes.
Just a sir joke, no disrespect intended.-

More seriously, his system was TLDR for me but he seemed nice and I relayed to his enthusiasm if not his method.

He was an interesting part of the greater WB collage. And his system was intriguing for it’s approach, if not my personal way of approaching wine. RIP

A winemaker AND a gentleman !

(are we allowed to still use the word ‘gentleman’?)

Earnestness can be endearing. So, to a degree can persistence. As I recall, he was unwilling to brook any disagreement with his rather idiosyncratic approach, which got backs up.

Nonetheless, it looks s though he was a charitable soul and a solid citizen, and we don’t have enough of them. RIP, and a tip of the glass to him

1 Like

Does anyone else think he looks like a young David Letterman in that photo?
1.jpg
0.jpg

There were some strong, and perhaps ‘mean,’ responses to his idiosyncratic approach to ratings, quality and price. I tried to engage with him once. I stopped when I came to the conclusion that he wanted to lecture, not discuss.

Sad if he suffered from dementia.
I did read some of his tasting notes on CT after Eric mentioned that he participated there.
His last entry - from June of this year - was for a 2010 Château Haut-Brion which he rated 99 points. I take some comfort that he enjoyed a nice glass so soon before he died.

3 Likes

From the moment I saw it.

1 Like

I always championed his right to post his nonsense, both here and on The CT forum. Once Eric nixed the QPR threads, Richard became a pretty cool guy. He asked for suggestions, and purchased some new stuff.
I always thought it was funny how much he was hung up on Domaine de Chevalier. Not a bad quirk IMO.

RIP Richard— I don’t have any Chevalier in the cellar, but I’m going to find one and toast your memory.
[cheers.gif]

1 Like