RIP Fred Franzia

Say what you will but the man was a master of creating value out of nothing

1 Like
1 Like

Legend…RIP!

1 Like

A titan in the industry. I bet more people, including berserkers, started their wine journeys drinking Franzia produced wine then they may realize.

RIP

1 Like

Two Buck Chuck was definitely a major part of my wine journey. Plus Bronco has a high batting average on drinkable cheap wines compared to the other big names when I do blindfolded tastings - he was doing something right over there.

2 Likes

”I don’t sell wine to put in a closet. I sell wine to drink" - Fred Franzia

RIP

2 Likes

His ashes were put in a 3L box.

1 Like

A lifetime ago, I enjoyed a case of this

I didn’t know that a wine with an AVA in the brand name, didn’t actually have to be made from grapes the region!

But Franzia did, and made a mint from that insight!

Still I loved that wine, and watching it evolve over a couple of years.

So I’ll raise my glass to his interesting life.

1 Like

That might have been a Beringer product at the time. Beringer sold off the brand when the law changed regarding AVA in the name. The Napa Ridge PN along with Eschelon PN were the QPR winners for me in that era.

Really? I don’t drink his wines but when I started I probably did. Think of how many wine geeks started at the lower end and moved forward. Disrespectful post of the year.

You’re probably right. I liked the Echelon’s of that era too.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Two Buck Chuck. It’s what my people—Azorean immigrants----typically take to Portuguese festivals, Holy Spirit parades, bullfights, processions, you name it. It’s what comprises a Portuguese Spritzer: Two Buck Chuck and Seven Up with ice cubes. I drank a lot of Two Buck Chuck over the years at these types of events and had a blast doing so. Not the best wine, but consistent and quaffable. What more can you ask from a cheap bottle?

It is, what we thought it is. Probably pretty serviceable in sangria too. But that was a not a very high bar and doesn’t say much about it as a stand alone wine.

A rather curt obit from the WSJ

1 Like