Rioja

The Riojans know what they’re doing. [cheers.gif]

I have to go buy a couple of bottles from the Basque region for an upcoming cooking class.

For those who don’t like American (or other) wood on their Rioja and have avoided it due to that issue, consider some of their non wood aged wines. For example Pecina just released their 2019 Cosecha, and I think their 2018 is still out in the market too.

Don’t expect them to keep the way their higher level wines do, but if one is buying and consuming that day, it should not matter.

=====

I buy Penin’s Guide to Spanish Wines (the English translation) which can be found on Amazon and has helpful ratings of most Rioja estates (especially the obscure ones) although no style/color on the producers. But it seems to me that if a wine makes its way here to the US, the odds are pretty good that it will be decent or better. The importer is a pretty real filter.

People here dislike Total Wine - and with plenty of good reason - but they do have a big range of direct imports from Rioja that are generally at least ok to well regarded by Penin. US critics don’t seem to discuss them, but if one wants to try something different than the typical Jorge Ordonez imports that tend to populate US retailers shelves, take a look in a nearby TW (ideally with a coupon in hand).

=====

Murrieta’s reserva is widely available and darn good too. I enjoyed a half case of the 2001, and even at age 10 it wasn’t fading one bit. Not sure why but their gran reserva (not the Castillo Ygay) can be hard to find. WA had a small flash offer the other day, and sold out, well, in a flash.

1 Like

Muga has French oak sourcing (explained at the winery with maps of the forest sections to which they have rights) and and cures, toasts, and makes its own barrels.

Suddenly?

No. For about thirty years. And that’s why I don’t over spend on CA or French wines.

But these days there are some great CA wines that are age-worthy and tasty, and there’s plenty in France too. Just stay off mailing lists and taste widely.

1 Like

i bought a case of this wine for my boys for a future special occasion. i try to buy every vintage it comes out. would love to make it my house wine for obvious reasons

Values are there, but am still apprehensive with the wine land mines in the region.

While it’s not that wallet-painful to try out a new bottle from one of many, many producers, in most occasions I don’t go back to the store to buy more.

I’ve not had Muga Prado Enea vintages after 2007, but every scattered single darn vintage I’ve had with oldest at 1970, were consistent in the style I like. Patience is a virtue with these for me, as they do take a very long time to get to my pinnacle of peak drinking, i.e. wood had receded sufficiently, but am regretful that my limited storage capability won’t allow me to buy every vintage to age. Still holding on to a couple of 1995s.

With a name like that they should make you an honorary owner entitled to your annual case allotment.

Between Binny’s and Whole Foods, I found two from the Alva region. Bought a Riscal and a Phincas. Need these for my Basque cooking class.

Ok suddenly was probably a bit of hyperbole. More and more though, I’m reaching for Rioja over Rutherford.

yeh, well i applied for a job at muga, but as all my wine job apps, got rejected

I appreciate there is no red line, but when does the newer stuff begin?

Curious about any other recommendations for a Rioja that is not oak driven, ideally less than about $50.

Thanks in advance,

es

Often laughed about Rioja as a beginners wine driven by sweet oak but I agree with the topic starter, often surprises me and almost always pleases me.

And In addition to the above mentioned questions: In order to understand Rioja better, does anyone dare to take a shot in categorizing Rioja in a few styles with some elucidation?

many thanks from a Rioja novice :wink:

I don’t have a recommendation for non-oaked Rioja as I prefer oaked-Rioja whose oak is well-integrated (or disintegrated) into a well-balanced stage. Having said that and if going by the regional classification, you will usually find the non-oaked Rioja reds among those classified as Joven and those are generally well below your ceiling price of $50, most likely < $20. Classified Crianza and above usually have at least a year in oak as defined by their regional control board.

The Spanish Drink Joven when thirsty for lunch don’t they? [cheers.gif] Gotta love their joie de vivre!

Really? I must be doing it wrong when I’m there. I start at breakfast. :blush:

Many thanks, Ramon!

haha maybe I am just a boring and preserved Northerling and just don’t get life