RIESLINGFEIER 2016

apologies
i should have known better!

No problem. I am often short on explanation. :slight_smile:

What a fantastic lineup! I regret not buying the VIP ticket now.

Just tried the Lietz line up at chambers tonight. I don’t think it has the exact same line up but all wines were fantastic. Josi is very nice and had photos of his soil, or rather lack there of - just rocks. Pretty cool. Amazing how vines grow in these conditions. Minerality was the theme with these wines.
Can’t make Saturday. Fatherly duties. One of these days I will make this.

Ticket secured. See you there!

There certainly is soil. Lots of rocks in there though.

Rottland:
Johannes Leitz Laura and David in Rottland.jpg
Schlossberg:
Rudesheimer Berg Schlossberg.jpg
But yes, the wines are fabulous!

i’m going to the 1pm tasting and will have very little time. can anyone help me out with sensible way to jump around. i have very little experience with these wines and do not generally like any sweetness. the few gg’s i’ve had have been sensational, but i do not know if they are all made in the same style.
tia

Lucky you! He had 4 enlarged photos on the display table, showing the rocks. I assume there must be some soil somewhere :slight_smile: It looks like a very nice piece of land he has over the river. [cheers.gif]

The Lietz are bone dry so think that would be a good table to visit.

Mark - the three producers below are pouring all or mostly dry wines. I would suggest in order of preference.

Rebholz
Beurer
Leitz

After these I would try

Muller
Lauer
Falkenstein
Immich
Weiser-Künstler
Prum
Steinmetz

So many personal favorites and overall great producers you can’t go wrong.

thanks guys
robert if you will be there at 1 i will bring that bottle i recently mentioned

Just back from the tasting (I sampled everything) on a beautiful 60+ degree February day in NYC. I thought I’d post some generic notes as well as overall impressions on what I learned/reconfirmed today. I am sorry in advance for those of you whom would love to read more detailed/insightful notes on these wines, but I will reserve that for those more knowledgeable (especially with the dry offerings). Please post you who attended!

Confirmed: I definitely prefer off-dry to dry. More to the point (and I realize a generalization), Spatlese seems to hit the spot for me. I love the play between the sweetness and acidity when made well.

Confirmed: I prefer off-dry Riesling young. Again, that play between acid and sweet and how as sip can just come alive in the mouth yet often remaining lithe and beautiful. Let’s get those salivaries singing.

Reconfirmed: I do love those wines from the Mosel Saar, especially J.J. Prum. One sip and my eyebrow are raised.

Confirmed: I love the feeling of reverence I get when I have the opportunity to taste older wines. I just feel a deep respect for the wine as I prepare and consume it. The 1959 Immich-Batterieberg Batterieberg Auslese was a new and special experience for me today.

Reconfirmed: It’s special to be able to talk with producers directly face to face. Great insight, knowledge, and anecdotes are often shared and that often makes a difference to me when trying a wine (especially for the first time). I don’t mind being schmoozed.

Reconfirmed: Sometimes it’s best to spit. (This does not necessarily refer to the quality of the wine).

Confirmed: I am even more in love with the 2005 vintage now (and glad I have many left) vs. what I tasted today (mainly 2013 & 2014). 2005 really is a benchmark over at least the last ten years, for me at least.

Reconfirmed: Tastings are almost always too crowded/over sold, and as it gets later in the day/evening people are not as considerate. Some need manner lessons.

Anyway, those are my post-impressions. Though I took notes, not many of them are not very valuable here. However, here are a few comments:

Leitz, with Johannes Leitz, had a good, predominately dry line-up. Good minerality and balance throughout reflecting that quartz soil.
2006 Leitz Berg Schlossberg Trocken - got some burnt rubber here. Heavier than the others.

Robert Weil with Nicolas Pfaff, Robert Weil- mainly dry wines, well made.
2013 Weil Estate Trocken- one of the most clear/transparent wines of the tasting
2013 Weil Gräfenberg GG- the hint of peach mid-palate on was nice.
2006 Weil Gräfenberg Spätlese- rubber noticed here.
2010 Weil Gräfenberg Beerenauslese- this raised my eyebrow and stood out, probably because it was the first sweetie of the day. Great nose. Zippy across the palate. Delicious.

Schlossgut Diel with Caroline Diel and Sylvain Diel (whom also likes Spatlese). There was good balance and fine length through mid-palate and finish with these wines. Well made.
2006 Schlossgut Diel Goldloch Sekt Brut (82 months sur latte)- just melts on the palate. Very nice.

Beurer with Jochen Beurer.
2014 Beurer Trocken- maybe the lightest (least amount of flavor profile) wine of the tasting.

Dr. Loosen
2012 Dr. Loosen Würzgarten Alte Reben GG- dry and balanced
2011 Dr. Loosen Würzgarten Alte Reben Reserve GG- aged 24 mos in barrel
2013 Dr. Loosen Treppchen Kabinett- floral, peach with that off-dry profile I enjoy. A welcome break from all the dry wines.
2004 Dr. Loosen Treppchen Auslese- very nice, so lithe with delicate flavor profile flowing across the palate.
2012 Dr. Loosen Prälat Auslese Gold Capsule- missed it :frowning:

Immich-Batterieberg with Gernot Kollmann.
1983 Immich-Batterieberg Batterieberg Spätlese- still young. If you told me it was a 2001, I wouldn’t have argued. Dry.
1959 Immich-Batterieberg Batterieberg Auslese- I felt privileged to be able to taste this. I got a noticeable paint varnish quality immediately. Very good oily texture here. I am not experienced with Riesling this old, so I have no basis for a decent evaluation. Strange as it may sound, the wine still seemed young with some brightness.

J.J. Prüm with Katharina Prüm. My favorite Riesling producer on the planet.
2014 J.J. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett- some initial spritz? Nice balanced Kabinett.
2014 J.J. Prüm Himmelreich Spätlese- Yum. Love the Himmelreich (as well as Graacher) Spatleses.
2008 J.J. Prüm Himmelreich Spätlese- there’s that slight burned rubber again. Didn’t wow me.
2007 J.J. Prüm Badstube Auslese- rubber again. Nice peach hints on finish.
1997 J.J. Prüm Himmelreich Auslese- missed it :frowning: :frowning:

Steinmetz with Stefan Steinmetz.
1997 Steinmetz Juffer Auslese- Youthful with great balance and length. I enjoyed this at first sip and appreciated it more when (the also youthful) Stefan told me it was the last vintage his father worked on alone. It was in 1998 Stefan and his father worked together on a vintage. I love that sense of respect he displays for his father when remembering him.

Egon Müller- with Veronika Lintner
2014 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Spätlese- the $175 cost surprised me.
2011 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Auslese- great finish
1997 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Auslese- Maybe my favorite wine of the tasting. This just exploded in the mouth. It kind of sneaks up on you too the second after entry and just dazzles the palate. I went back for more- twice.
1994 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Auslese- What a great nose. Deeper tone and texture than most today. Love that litheness. A ballerina across the palate.

Well, there you have it. Some good lessons and pleasures. Not a bad day. Thank you Robert for posting the list earlier! How was the dinner anyway?

Is that you on the right David? Looks like you’re having fun!

Marchello - great notes and write-up.

A few comments and additions to what you wrote.

I love all riesling but I also tend to drink a lot more off-dry these days, especially from 2013 which is one of my all time favorite vintages because of the high acid level. Try some Feinherbs they usually work really well for me.

I did not try everything and skipped many of the producers I know well.

The Steinmetz wines blew me away and were the wines of the tasting for me.

Koehler-Ruprecht was also very impressive, they brought a rare Chardonnay for me to try.

I love the Beurer wines and Jochen is an incredibly nice guy. Happy to have many of them and look forward to continuing to buy them and to visit the region very soon.

It was cool to taste the 59 Immich, I tried two different bottles and the differences were fascinating.

The dinner was amazing and there were too many highlights to mention all. The 66 Egon Muller Auslese Eiswein was wonderful, the 71 Prum TBA was stunning and the 59 Prum TBA was fascinating as it evolved over time, Katerina said she has only had the 59 twice before.

My impressions (just that, didn’t take or try to take careful notes and I’m a touch under the weather):

Loved Leitz. A revelation for me. Long, mineral dry Rieslings. Beautiful structured wines.

There are some “real” kabinetts from the Mosel in 2014 and they are very good, grassy and herbal and gulpable and will make the summer much more fun.

Still do not like or get the dry Rieslings from the Mosel (inc. Saar). The wines are short, lack the complexity off the off dry wines, and lack any feeling of minerality. I find the non Mosel dry wines so much stronger. There was a lot of tasting politely through some mediocre or worse dry wines, only to perk up when you finally got to the kabinett.

Immich I thought was really not good. The wines reek of stressed yeast.

Some of the trophy wines were as good as rep and a privilege to taste. The Muller auslesen were astonishing. The 1997 Prum G-H auslese was spicy and resolved, fully mature and classic for the vineyard. The Loosen Pralat GKA was my first Loosen Pralat and showed the quality of the vineyard, long and structured. The acidity on the 2010 Weil BA was extraordinary, great sweet wine.

Other surprises: really liked Grunhaus, thought Lauer was uncharacteristically mediocre (all dry, sadly, which is fighting his terroir in a losing battle). Really liked the non-Mosel dry wines, they continue to improve so rapidly.

Very nice! Go ahead, list more highlights…

Great event. The VIP hour was definitely worth it even just for the smaller crowds. I left just after noon and it seemed to be getting much more crowded. Also a few extra spit buckets would have been nice, especially as it got more crowded I was not always standing near one.
A few random observations:
Weiser-Künstler were solid, except I did not care for the dry spatlese (was that the Steffensburg? I don’t recall.) The estate feinherb, which I think goes for about $20, is a ridiculous value. I should really pick up a case. 07 spat was also fantastic.
Muller - glad I got to try these, as I had never before. The 94 was ridiculous.
Lauer - showed badly, though agree with Dave that in part it was because he poured mostly dry and sekt. I just don’t drink much dry riesling.
Lietz were quite good, some of the only dry wines that did not feel like they were missing sweetness.
2010 Weil BA - distinct and strange nose that brought me back about 25 years to when I was a kid and had these little straws that came with a weird plasticy goo that you could blow into bubbles. Am I nuts? Tasted great though.

I got to come to this next winter.

Glenn, you won’t regret it.

Next year at RieslingFeier! (Hopefully). Great experience in 2015: unfortunately, I had other obligations this year.

I did open a 2012 Leitz Roseneck Katerloch to celebrate at home, though.
Citrus peel, dry mineral extract with a note of ocean spray, youthful green hints at mint or sage. Tightly knit with prominent acidity but enough residual sugar to give roundness to the mid palate.