Riesling... Point me in the right direction

Still can’t believe how old the brothers are and still actively involved in the winemaking.

I have not had a Merkelbach wine before, but may need to seek some 2019s out.

I would start with the classic regions of German, Alsace and Austria and go new world in your second group.

You might think about having a younger and older wine from the same producer to see how Riesling ages.

If you want dry wines from cooler regions, I would go with warmer vintages. Cooler vintages tend to have less body and more acidity. Fine for wines with residual sugar. Drier wines might taste too thin. I have not had a dry wine from 2010 but it is hard to imagine it being good given the acidity levels. 2010, by contrast, is a fabulous vintage for Auslesen and GKA because the acidity levels keep the wine from being cloying.

I miss mentioning of Breuer and Koehler Ruprecht.
Kallstadter Saumagen Spätlese or Auslese Trocken (including R and RR) are all a must-try
Breuer also. Making the best dry Riesling to age in your cellar

Great wines, but very difficult to source.

I love Breuer Schlossberg, but I often find petrol there.

Thanks again to all for the replies. On the petrol topic - a hint of it is not a big deal, but I certainly prefer that it’s not the primary aroma. Who knows, maybe it will be an acquired taste (???).

I’m now waiting on delivery for almost a case. More bottles than I planned on, but it will be fun to explore and this wine isn’t going bad anytime soon. I may add a few bottles from Dee Vine Wines, but there’s no rush. Will report back!

Here’s what I’ve ordered:

2018 Dönnhoff Felsenberg Riesling Großes Gewächs (Germany, Nahe)
2018 Dönnhoff Oberhäuser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett (Germany, Nahe)
2018 Weingut Keller Kirchspiel Riesling Großes Gewächs (Germany, Rheinhessen)
2018 Weingut Keller Riesling RR (Germany, Rheinhessen)
2018 Weingut Keller Riesling von der Fels (Germany, Rheinhessen)

2017 Weingut Knoll Riesling Smaragd (Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau)
2017 Weingut Knoll Riesling Smaragd Dürnsteiner Kellerberg (Austria, Niederösterreich, Wachau)

2016 Smith-Madrone Riesling (USA, California, Napa Valley, Spring Mountain District)

Wines considering from Dee Vine:
2017 EMRICH-SCHÖNLEBER Mineral, Riesling Trocken
2014 EMRICH-SCHÖNLEBER Monzingen Frühlingsplätzchen, Riesling Trocken
2014 EMRICH-SCHÖNLEBER Halenberg, Riesling Grosses Gewächs
2005 WILLI SCHAEFER Graach Domprobst, Riesling Spätlese Auction

BOOM! Nice work.

Terrific! I’d pull the trigger on the Emrich-Schonleber wines. Among the best dry wines in Germany and still well priced compared to some.

I second what David said above about exploring the Selbach-Oster lineup. I decided to go deep into riesling last month and Selbach has been very enjoyable and instructive (and affordably priced).

A very interesting, textural, great value dry riesling I recommend is Von Winning Deidesheimer Paradiesgarten Riesling trocken. It was $33 in Canada so that probably means you can find it for $7 USD or something.

Also echo what Marcus said about dipping into Canadian riesling with Synchromesh (be warned, it is off-dry). And another Canadian riesling producer to put on your radar is Scout, but they sell out almost faster than Synchro these days.

Buy more wine? Twist my arm…

Appreciate the inside info - although we knew that this would eventually happen, I didn’t know that this was THE year. The Merkelbach brothers have always been such a great source of high quality and extremely reasonably-priced Middle Mosel Rieslings, and they will definitely be missed.

Great choices, and do go forward with those purchases from DVW!

Hoping you got a reasonable price on the Keller Kirchspiel - this has always been a benchmark Riesling for me, but the price has escalated significantly in the past couple of years.

The first time I saw a Terry Theise catalog was around 1990. I thought they looked really old then.

I wouldn’t call it a good price (>$200), but from what I can tell it’s not easy to find these wines at all. Idea is to save it for a special occasion or wait for it to appreciate.

from what I have been told the torch is properly passed

FIFY

champagne.gif

2 Likes

They are retired from what I’ve heard. I understand Johannes Selbach oversaw the 2020s. I don’t know the details.

1 Like

OK. I thought 2019 was their swan song. Apparently it was indeed 2018.