Ridge - Unusual or Rare Bottlings?

Per a 2014 Grape Collective article, three slideshows were created as part of Ridge Vineyards’ 50th anniversary celebration. Two of the presentations feature images of older wine labels.

Grape Collective
“352 Ridge Vineyards Zinfandel Labels: 1964 - 2005”
by Jameson Fink
April 10, 2014

"Beyond fascinating for any fan of Ridge Vineyards to view Zinfandel labels (with tasting notes/vintage reports) from over four decades.

“…(Note: It’s actually the 50th year of Ridge Zinfandel; the slide show covers ‘only’ 41.)

SlideShare website
“Ridge Vineyards: A Glimpse into 50 Years of Zinfandel”
April 2, 2014

Image: 1969 ‘LD1’ Lodi Zinfandel label

SlideShare includes two other presentations from Ridge’s 50th anniversary:

Image: 1968 ‘Monte Bello’ Cab Sauv label

1 Like

Consumed last year.

4 Likes

While clearing out some things, I ran across another unusual bottle. Note the alcohol … 15% !

3 Likes

Very unusual!

Vine Hill is the subregion of the Santa Cruz Mountains, once famous for Germanic whites. That’s the same area Ken Burnap’s estate was, with his Santa Cruz Mountains Vineyard. All originally the Jarvis Vineyard, planted 1863. I had a Ridge '73 Sylvaner from there a decade ago. Still alive and enjoyable, but probably lost a lot. There’s a good chance the (probably '60s) Novitiate NV “Reisling” i had was from there.

1 Like

Only 5 left in CT (and i have 1 more of those 5 in the cellar) so figured I’d post here as well.

1980 Picchetti Zinfandel, Santa Cruz Mountains.
It’s always amazing how well Ridge wines age. This Picchetti zin was really nice. Tart cranberries, some cinnamon, and a sour-apple like note on the finish. Medium bodied with plenty of acidity. Just a really beautiful, well aged zin from one of the masters. As always, an extra point for being a birth-year wine.

2 Likes