Ridge '20 Monte Bello

I received my full allocation, 4 bottles and 1 mag. No wish list this year.

Ditto [dance-clap.gif]

3 Likes

I received full allocation as well. I have only been a full member for 4 years?

I have received my full allocation - I have been a member for 4 years

Full allocation (4x750 plus 1 mag). 11th vintage. No wish list.

Sharing with anyone that was shut out, see below for details.

That’s very nice of you.

+1, thanks for thinking of us!

At what price does futures of Monte Bello no longer make for a good deal? The price seems to increase about $3 to $5 every year. This year is $145

I would keep buying without hesitation until $160ish,

It’s just keeping up with inflation.

1 Like

It’s a no brainer. Not that I intend to sell mine but WSP prices now are:
2016 $210
2017 $200
2018 $256

You’re getting a wine that is immediately “worth” about 50% or more than what you paid for it.

1 Like

In 20 years it’s likely we are all posting in here that we used to buy Montebello for $145 :joy:

3 Likes

I think MB is at the level where you have to want to drink it at the futures price you pay. You won’t make any significant money flipping it when you take into account your full cost and what you will lose in selling it. Your 50% will turn into approximately zero.

If you intend to drink it, then it can make a lot of sense. Relative to its position in CA Cabs, I think it’s very fairly priced at the futures rate.

Yeah, you’re not gonna get rich flipping these wines but I’ve stopped buying wines from vineyards if I can buy it on the secondary market for less later. If I was putting out $145/bottle for MB and by the time I got the wine 2 years later I could buy it for $125 that would be stupid. Likewise, if you like the wine and think it’s in your price range it’s a no brainer at the futures rate. I’ve picked up past vintages using discounts and cash back for around $175 so their futures pricing is really very good.

1 Like

I understand this is not your situation, but my point is just that you can’t reliably make money on MB anymore, if you could before. You should buy it only if you want to drink it. As I said, I think it’s good value relative to other great CA wines. And I agree there are alternatives where you pay X on release from the winery and then the secondary is 0.75X or whatever… those make little sense to buy direct.

I’m just saying this because I think a lot of people look at these prices and think “I’m buying a wine that’s worth 50% more.” That’s true if you are a buyer on futures and comparing to a buyer later, but it’s not true if you are a buyer on futures and a seller later.

We have been buying MB Futures for several years, for a few reasons. The price is one, as we cellar it to drink and not sell. Monte Bello is consistently excellent, for our tastes. We also love to visit there, now Healdsburg more than Cupertino, where we can try a lot of the wines in their line-up. Their hospitality is always excellent. That is one advantage of being reasonably close to their tasting rooms.

Ed

Agree 100%. I think under $170 is probably a no-brainer for MB futures.

2 Likes

My biggest concern I have, and hopefully others can chip in, is it worth buying 3 of their Estate wines to gain access…is it really worth buying wines that you would not normally buy? (speaking personally), I am not a fan of their Chardonnay and have not heard great things about their Merlot. At this point I am paying around $160 for 3 bottles I would not buy to gain access to MB at 40% off or so, maybe I am overthinking this.

One thing to consider, if it matters to you: I think you can ask them to substiutie the Cab for the chardonnay and the merlot, so you are at least getting wines you don’t mind having.

You can definitely ask for substitution. I think the Estate Chard is good, but it’s not really my style either. The Cab is one of the best values around, I would definitely be buying that one regardless of the MB Collector requirement. The Merlot is well structured and a nice example of doing right by the grape in a mountain setting. I enjoy a bottle a year of it.