Ridge '20 Monte Bello

I got on the list with the 2012 vintage. At that time you didn’t have to buy other wines in order to get an allocation of MB. So I’ve been offered 4 x MB each vintage since then, including the 2018. I didn’t hear anything about reduced allocations for that vintage.

Actually, 2018 was the last vintage I bought. I dropped off the list last year. For my palate, MB needs 20+ years before it begins to hit its prime. I’ll be in my 80s by the time the 2018s are approachable.

I know the MB is supposed to be great for aging - but is anyone drinking these younger? I just signed up a year or so ago, got the same rejection email - but I’m wondering if it’s worth it for me. I have a hard enough time keeping wine for 5-7 years, let alone 20. If MB really needs 20 years to shine, then I should just drop off.

2 Likes

I didn’t get the email (yet?)

Got the dreaded email as well. Bummed, but seeing 10 year+ members in the same boat tells me that there isn’t much to go around.

Re: when it is ready, here is the (slightly out of date) official guidance: Monte Bello Vintage Tracker - Ridge Vineyards

1 Like

Hmmm. According to that, it looks like the winery recommends holding for around 15 years.

Looks like the 2004 - which is finally in that drinking window - sells on winebid for $190. That may be a better deal than paying $125 - or whatever next year - and having to wait 15+ years! (I don’t know if that is typical of all MB - just what I found in 10 seconds on WB)

$125 invested in the stock market for 15 years should grow to over $300. So when you drink a 2020 in 15 years,from a financial standpoint, I guess you could argue that Monte Bello that you paid $125 for really “cost” you >$300. I realize there are different ways of looking at it, but it makes buying an already aged wine seem like a deal.

I will probably just drop from the list.

I didn’t get any either. Such is life.
I’m just glad my income doesn’t depend on Mother Nature. Farming is a tough life.

got the same email. I imagine this is not an uncommon thing in short years for the list. im OK with it because I just had my Patricia green order confirmed, finalized Bedrock two weeks ago, Once and Future came today, Big Table Farms came yesterday… lol

Only been on for 2yr but haven’t received an email. Not sure what that means for an allocation but interesting.

Same here… been on 2 years but didn’t receive an email (yet)… however i have bought several other wines as gifts for friends / family since being on the list… plus plenty of MB at retail pricing

They tend to be gorgeous on release, but shut down hard maybe 6-10 months later. Then 5 or so years before the gradual opening up, which greatly rewards more time. How much, depending on vintage. Some “great” vintages take a lot longer. Maybe look for something like an '11, '07, '04 or '00 to try (not a comprehensive list, just a few examples of vintages I found impressive on the young side). If that impresses you, and you’re young enough, then you might find yourself rethinking the either/or you posed. The solution to drinking your wines too young is to buy too many wines, so you can forget about some that you bury, out of sight.

I haven’t heard either way. I’ve been buying from the list for a while but I’ve cut back on quantity due to age.

1 Like

Wes is on target. I popped a ‘17 soon after receiving my allocation and was surprised how utterly open and gorgeous it was. The rest go into deep storage but no crime opening them young.

Wes Barton wrote:
They tend to be gorgeous on release, but shut down hard maybe 6-10 months later. Then 5 or so years before the gradual opening up, which greatly rewards more time. How much, depending on vintage. Some “great” vintages take a lot longer. Maybe look for something like an '11, '07, '04 or '00 to try (not a comprehensive list, just a few examples of vintages I found impressive on the young side). If that impresses you, and you’re young enough, then you might find yourself rethinking the either/or you posed. The solution to drinking your wines too young is to buy too many wines, so you can forget about some that you bury, out of sight.

I agree with Wes on this. We used to go to the Component tastings and pick up the new release in the spring, and the Monte Bello’s always showed well. Lush, rich and concentrated. And then they go into a deep slumber for a number of years. I would add the ‘03 to Wes’ list of vintages that may be drinking well. I would personally drink the '03 and '04 before the '02 and even '01, based on previous experiences.

Ed

I had a bottle of the 2013 this summer (COVID pull on the 4th of July), and it was very enjoyable with a 4 hour decant, but would benefit from a few years of bottle age. I had a 2011 a year or so ago, and it was beautiful–I am sure it was still on the path of excellence, but I wanted to check in on it. I am not one that ages wine for 20 years without checking in on what I’ve got. My palate is geared for ~10 years on Monte Bello, for the most part. Maybe I’m missing out with opening too soon?

Ah, I got a followup email. I had added 375s a year or two ago and got the email based on that change date. They said it was an error and I will indeed be getting wine. Phew champagne.gif

I am quite surprised that Ridge would even entertain the thought of producing any 2020 MB? It was just a brutal year. I buy from five highly respected producers and not one even gave 2020 consideration.

The fruit that goes into Monte Bello is grown on vines that are all located on the East side of the Santa Cruz Mountains and were not significantly affected by the fires and smoke that impacted the Western and Southern parts of Santa Cruz Mountains, Napa and Sonoma. Where do your “highly respected” producers grow their grapes?

No email here.

I’ve been buying direct since 2012 and my recent futures order (2019 vintage) was 12 bottles. Wonder what the 2020 will look like, half?

Haven’t received the email yet, but based on years buying from others that did, I expect I will.
At least it appears they learned from the 2018 mess. That year they sent out the no Monte Bello for you letters after they had sent out the estate wines and angered a lot of buyers.
Much happier to see them notify us earlier.