Rhys to grow Carricante?

supposedly Timorasso does age, although I’ve not had one older than 5 years. Great acidity, in any case.

Thanks Oliver.

I opened a 2008 Pietramarina last night, and was disappointed to find it premoxed. Hope that was just an unfortunate bottle.

Alan,
That’s interesting. I have never had a premoxed Pietramarina and have opened many '08s without issue. Any chance of a provenance problem with that bottle?

Kevin,

Where are you getting the Carricante plant material from?

Possible, I guess. I bought 2 each from two different shops (Flatiron in NY, and Wine House in LA) back in 2014, after you recommended it to me. Looks like the 12 is the latest vintage available, something like a 4 year difference between vintage and release, so my bottles could have been on a shelf for a year or two, but I’d expect those stores to have pretty good storage conditions. I’ve opened at least one other bottle of the 08 (not sure if it was the same batch or not), which was extremely dry and mineral, exactly as you described it.

I had the '07 Pietramarina in Sicily last year and it was a baby. Wonderful wine, too.

Carole,
It is originally from Salvo Foti and we have worked with FPS for a few years to get it certified.

Great to hear Kevin! So many interesting varieties around the world and so few of them are in the US. I’m interested in getting Dobricic introduced from Croatia. I first drank it from a plastic Coke bottle in a Croatian farmer’s kitchen. I think it would be great here in California.

Great point Carole. With over 3000 varieties in Italy alone, it is exciting to think about how some of them could do here.

Kevin,

I notice that the latitude of Catania and Santa Cruz are almost the same, too. I wonder if some of the other white varieties such as Fiano from the south of Italy have prospects here; I haven’t had enough of them to know. (Unti makes a Fiano that I like.)

There was Fiano at the late Fratelli Vyd on Hecker Pass. Not the ideal site for it, but it did pretty well, so I’m sure a cooler hillside site in the area could do very well with it. We were very happy with what we got from the Luna Matta Vyd., which is on limestone in west side Paso. I heard there’s some recently planted up in the Sierra Foothills. It could do well at the right sites up there, too.

Why not ideal? Too warm?

Jim Cowan made a delicious Fiano in California.

Not just a delicious Fiano, a delicious sous voile Fiano.

A bit, I think, but probably more the soil in that part of the vineyard. We were happy with it and the other stuff we got from there, solid, but the lower section (ancient washed out river bed) kicked butt. Fiano definitely has a future here, though probably always as a niche variety.

My favorite from that upper section was Teroldego, btw. I think that’s well suited for the lee side foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains.

Ryme has a prett damn good Fiano, I think it sees a bit of skin contact.

I would love to see Teroldego take hold in the U.S. … and Lagrein!! flirtysmile

How is this Carricante going to enter the USA? Or is it here already?

I’m not seeing it at FPS nor at NGR nor at GRIN.

According to VIVC, the only Carricante (Bianco) in the western hemisphere is at a research station in Argentina.

VIVC indicates that certain kinds of “CATARRATTO” might be “CARRICANTE” - are you looking at FPS “Catarratto 01.1”?

According to NGR, that Catarrato is a Bianco, but they don’t list Carricante as a synonym for it.

PS: Wikipedia doesn’t have an English language page for Carricante, although there is a page in German.

Nathan,

If you want chapter and verse on any Italian variety I recommend Ian d’Agata’s book about Italian Grape Varieties. Very thorough.

There are several posts above about existing plantings and wine.