Rhys Hillsides

for life.

Ok that was funny

I will be buying. We will be moving our daughter to her “new” digs as a college freshman so I will pay attention to the guaranteed allocation time frames…or wish list ; )

Just curious Kevin, why the $50 premium for a mag…scarcity?

Russ,
Yes, while we normally charge a smaller premium for magnums, the Hillside magnums are more scarce and have different pricing.

I opened a 13 last New Years eve at a friends house and imho it was hard as nails, not open for business so no notes from me. No excuses I knew the risks but curiosity you know [wow.gif] Maybe some of the people who tasted it with better palates than me will chime in? But yeah I will be in again if I get a chance [cheers.gif]

I’ve read about how Jeremy eats and drinks - he can probably still afford them.

[cheers.gif]

For what it’s worth, the 14 Alpine Hillside Pinot is probably my top domestic Pinot of the year.

A drop in the bucket for most of you, but $75,000 in tuition means no more wine buying until the next CC cycle and that’s after the closing date.

Still sitting on 06 Alpine Hilsides. An 06 Alpine is in the queue.

I gotta ask where such tuition pricing exists.

I will be writing a tuition check next week…and I am “retired” so my wine budget will be reduced accordingly. My age doesn’t help matters any but I still feel like I am 40! Must be the Yoga ; )

Cheers,
JP

For $75,000 I assume that includes room and board and hopefully this is for 2 children.

Tuition and fees at a number of universities tops $60K now. Add in room and board…

Columbia MBA program is close to 100K /year not including room and board
USC dental school is 125K/year but that might include R & B

Prices have gone up $2000-3000 every year he was in college and, yes, it does include room and board. This is standard pricing for elite schools these days!!!

Kevin,

If you have some time I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the Hillside wines in general. As I was deciding how much to order, some points of curiosity came to mind. I have yet to taste a single sip of any Hillside wine, so all my purchases are based on my experience with your portfolio, reviews, and largely comments from you. I’m hoping you don’t mind commenting on:

• How do the '06 and '07 compare to the more recent vintages? How much has vine age, farming, or vinification altered their profile?

• Within each vineyard, how would you compare or contrast the wines among the more recent trio of vintages?

• Production volumes for each wine and vintage? (13-14-16)

• You have said that your aim is to release only 2-3 Hillside bottlings every decade, but now this is the third in four years. (Admittedly, third in nine since 2007.) Will you continue to base Hillside declarations on what’s in the barrels or is a forced hiatus intended? (Whims of Mother Nature notwithstanding, of course!)

Maintaining price consistency is helping with my buying decision (thank you for that).

Also, it seems like the vintage chart hasn’t been updated in some time. Are you planning an update soon? I do use your D or D/H designation from time to time when selecting a bottle, so thought I would ask.

Thank you,

Craig

Craig,
I wish I had your knack for formatting! Here is my best attempt:

-The '06 and '07 Alpine Hillside were a different animal. Our idea at that time was to bottle a specific steep section of Alpine vineyard separately each year (like Swan Terrace). Starting with the 2013s, the Hillsides are barrel selections that could come from any of the best performing parcels. The Alpine Hillside has often included that steep section of Alpine vineyard but not exclusively and not every year. Given this and the vine age, these post-2013 Hillsides are a significant step up in quality

-The 2013s are opening up and drinking really well. The 2014s are more structured and will take a little longer but show just as much promise. The 2016s are in between those two vintages in structure.

-production volumes have ranged from 125-225 cases

-We expect to bottle the Hillsides 6-7 vintages out of 10. We are seeing more consistent high quality as the vines age but production levels at these two vineyards are notoriously variable.

We are overdue for a drinking chart update and will work on that. We just moved the 2013 Hillsides to Drink/Hold.

Thank goodness both my daughters got into UVA. Elite school and tuition plus R & B was less than $25K.