Rhys fined $3.76M for illegally diverting water in Anderson Valley

I would have expected that people at Rhys would understand the details of these regulations, but what was said in the article would probably not be understood by the general public (that they had the right to pump the runoff but not to collect it).

My guess is that it has been common practice to do stuff like this and the authorities are trying to change that.

I’d like to hear Joe Webb’s opinion on this. He had some really informative and entertaining things to say about water use (by grape and pot growers) in that area.

I read it as the reservoirs were built in 2015?

“Two reservoirs preexisted the purchase of the 4,591-acre Clarke Ranch property southwest of Laytonville from Golden Ram Sportsmen’s Club”

It’s 22 acre feet, not a 20+ acre lake unless the lake is only a foot deep.

The runoff regulations are a lot more strict in that county because of their specific circumstances.

-Al

The article said 22 acre-feet, not 20+ acre. That’s a significant difference. Could be just a 2.2 acre pond that’s 10’ deep.

I read the article. My question was whether this was “egregious” not whether it was illegal.

I was not suggesting they did it by accident. I’m saying I don’t know whether they knew what they were doing was egregiously wrong.

It isn’t fair to speculate. It could be a simple misunderstanding. Or it could be a profoundly wicked and maleficent plot by Rhys. We don’t know. To me, Kevin Harvey has always been the definition of transparency, often to a fault, in my opinion. He happily answers the minutia questions that you guys ask him about their winery and mailing list. I would assume he treats the California Water Board with the same respect.

I think the only thing egregious is the penalty. 3 small ponds on a 4,500+ acre property isn’t going to significantly alter basin hydrology.

I’ll start with food, since wine is an agricultural product.

My meat, fruit, vegetables, milk, eggs, yogurt, etc. all come from local farms almost year round. Being in New England there are some items I cannot get from a local farm in the dead of winter, but I probably buy 90%+ local. Beyond that I make very specific decisions about the rest of the food I buy.

I am very curious to know more about what happened here.

Sounds like it was probably an innocent, and expensive!, mistake.

Let’s not go down the road of saying California water policies are too strict or I’m not buying their wine anymore before we really know what happened. It’s been done to death here.

My wallet (and wife) would support a boycott.

Just sayin.

Of what California or Rhys [cheers.gif]

Probably both!

“Mistakes were made.”

Just sad on both fronts!

Hope this hefty settlement does not cause another price increase

They bought the property with two of the reservoirs already there and the third was completed in the year they made the purchase. The article doesn’t say if work was already underway when the property was purchased.

Knowing nothing other than was printed in the article, it’s a leap to claim that Rhys even knew the ponds were illegal, since they were in existence when the property was bought.

And they had the rights to pump water, but not to collect it. Does the article say anything about how much water they are allowed to pump and what damage to wetlands pumping would cause?

I think we should do everything we can to protect our environment and our wetlands and streams, even if it means, as it must, that you can’t put vineyards in places that might really be good for wine.

But it’s not like they went in there and plowed up a meadow, drained wetlands, and built some pools. Honestly, I don’t see their behavior as being all that egregious, and they’ve apparently done what they can to make amends. While I’m not on their mailing list or anything, if I were buying their wine, this wouldn’t cause me to feel differently about them.

1 Like

There is a lot I would like to say about this over a glass of wine (or two!) but given the situation, I cannot do that now except for a few facts:

1. we made some serious mistakes
  2. The property is 4591 acres. The vineyard is 20 acres. We have always planned to conserve the remainder.
  3. 2 of the 3 ponds have been on the site for 60+ years
  4. anyone who has visited our vineyards has seen that they are managed with extreme environmental sensitivity and this site is no different

I am sorry but I will not be able to respond further.