Rhys Fall offering (2015)

The “futures” model that you’re describing is certainly not what Kevin advertised. If Kevin would have told me that the future program was more in alignment with Bordeaux model, I would have certainly bought cases of 0.750 instead of the following formats that I bought:

4 cases of .375 samplers
2 cases of .500 samplers
2 x 1.5L
2 x 3.0L

It’s not like this is something that has happened with every futures offering. Kevin is incredibly responsive, but let’s just deal with the fact that for this wine it didn’t work out right and cut him some slack. He’s not intentionally messing with people.

Hi Jose, if you (or anyone else) is interested in this offer, please just shoot us an email at info@rhysvineyards.com and we’ll handle it outside of the release next week. Thanks!

I agree with David and most certainly did not want to bring a firestorm down upon Kevin/Rhys. His response is on the excessive side of generous. All future correspondence from me will be private.

Jef/Kevin:

Thanks again for the awesome customer service. You’re the best and that is why I always purchase my entire allocation and always max out on wishlisted wines.

As mentioned before, I definitely will be buying a case of 2013 Alpine for the future price. As requested, I’ll send you an email shortly making official request.

Kevin & Jeff,

Big + 1 on the awesome service top to bottom!

Just curious if you have decided the release schedule for all the 2013’s and what type of futures offering we may see given the 2014 quantities.

I believe I remember you were planning to release the 2013’s over 18 months.

Thanks,

Bill

Darn,

I have been enjoying a.375 Alpine Chard - Wow! It has layers and i would imagine the complexity that will emerge with time will certainly be most enjoyable! Don’t dare drink this too cold!

On deck for tomorrow - .375 Alpine Pinot.

Buying strategy - Ha!

on deck for tomorrow a .375 Alpine Pinot!

Curious, when can we expect the next Hillside offering? :wink:

Bill,
We have been transitioning our release schedule with the goals of having two primary offers per year and making sure that we keep wine in bottle at least one year before release. This means there will be two more offerings of 2013s over the next year. We will have final dates and details over the next few days and I will repost them here and in our newsletter.
2014 Futures will be offered this coming winter. Right now it looks like the Futures offerings will be similar to 2012 and 2013 but the quantities available will be lower. Unfortunately due to low yields, there will be no 2015 Futures offerings from Alpine and Horseshoe.
Additionally we will have a Hillside release ('13 Alpine Hillside and '13 Horseshoe Hillside) sometime this winter or next Spring.
Details soon!

Wow! With lightning speed, Kevin/Jeff’s team already processed my “2012 Rhys Alpine Vineyard Pinot Noir 12-pack (750ml)”. Very thankful indeed.

Now, I’m just patiently awaiting to buy my allocation!

Thanks again.

Jose - I think you mean 2013. I can definitely see how it can get confusing based on the amount of Rhys you purchase. neener

psyched to try a Horseshoe Hillside!!!

Bill,
The upcoming release (focused on 2013 Alpine wines) will be our last regular offering this year.
Here is the release schedule that we will include in the newsletter-

For 2015:
October 2015 - Alesia 2013 Chardonnay and Pinot
November 2015 - 2014 Alpine and Horseshoe Pinot and Chardonnay Futures

For 2016:
January 2016 - 2nd offering of 2013s (to be shipped immediately)
June 2016 - Final 2013 offering (for Fall shipping)
August 2016 - Special release of 2013 Alpine Hillside and Horseshoe Hillside Pinot Noir
November 2016 - First 2014 offering

After this release schedule transition we will be able to have two regular releases per vintage (November and May/June) and all wine will have at least one year in bottle before shipping. Each release will include at least one Chardonnay and an appellation Pinot (with 2014 we will have an Anderson Valley bottling) in addition to the vineyard designated wines.

Kevin, will the Bearwallow Porcupine Hill be released with the Hillsides or one of the other 2013 releases?

Mike,
The '13 Porcupine Hill is currently slated to be released with the Bearwallow in the January 2016 release.

I think the right solution to this pricing issue is to retroactively charge the futures buyers an extra $10 per bottle. Then the rest of us will have nothing to complain about.

Ha! I look forward to the offering…even without the “futures, (I haven’t taken advantage)” Rhys plays a major role with my wine cellar inventory. I will probably still request some wish listers regardless…

Cheers,
JP

With the new offering coming this week, I decided to taste through the sampler pack I bought, which had 500ml bottles of the following 2013s: Family Farm, Bearwallow, Alpine, and Horseshoe. In short, they were all too young, but ultimately (over the course of three nights) very good. Popped and poured, and drank non-blind over three nights, recorking each night.

2013 Family Farm: not a promising start for me. The lightest color of the bunch, the cork barely had a stain on it. Very tight, with more dusty aromas a than fruit. My initial (and very neophyte) impressions were that this reminded me of many mediocre Burgundies that I have had, which isn’t my cup of tea. Day 2 (and 3) was a different story. Fresh, precise, vibrant red fruit, with a very silky mouthfeel. A Pinot lover’s Pinot. This is a wine that can impress a broad spectrum of palates. I went from crossing it off my purchasing list, to needing an eraser.

2013 Bearwallow: I own several vintages of this, but haven’t opened many. As with the FF, this was very tight and closed at the start, with (to me) a slightly dusty nose, but with a slightly darker color and more dark fruit. Day 2 was an evolution in a glass. At first, it hadn’t opened up as much as the FF, and compared to the others, I couldn’t figure out what this wine wanted to be. Three hours later…the nose completely changed. Raisiny, port-like notes, with a sweet richness I haven’t had from a Pinot. It was good, and interesting, but ultimately, when compared to the others, my least favorite. But, still very good.

2013 Alpine: this has been my favorite over the years, and I had high hopes. The darkest color (barely) of the group. But, just like the others, this was very tight upon opening and revealed little. I think my biases made me like this the most of the four on night one, but I couldn’t exactly say why. My notes say this was very close in nose and taste to the Bearwallow on day one. Day 2 saw the Alpine strut its stuff, and showed me why I like it so much. Big fruit, boldest of the bunch with a very modern style. Probably not for the AFWE crowd, but maybe. Day 3 saw much of the same. Very happy with this wine.

2013 Horseshoe: not to beat a dead horse (and, not to make a pun), but this was very closed out of the gate. My notes say on day one this seemed like a mix of the FF and the Bearwallow. Day 2 saw this wine blossom. It had darkness and richness of the Alpine, but I kept finding this more interesting. I wanted to like the Alpine more, but I couldn’t do it. This was just better (for me). The best I can say is that the Alpine was more of a one trick pony, while the Horseshoe was multi-faceted. This had just about everything I could ask for in a wine. Great nose, layered flavors, depth, nuance, velvety mouthfeel and a long finish. This was the one wine that didn’t make it past day 2.

I love the sampler pack, and will purchase each year it is offered. I also love the 500ml bottles. Now, I just need to make it out there on day to see where these great wines are born.
image.jpg

I sense a theme here, but one totally opposite from what I had with the 375mls. All that I opened were very open and ready to drink, imo, to the point of thinking they might not be ageworthy beyond the mid-term.

Mark - I had the '13 Alpine (also from 500 ml) the other day, and it had great density and some reasonable structure. Seemed like one to cellar for a bit (but check in periodically!).