Rhys 2013 Spring Futures

Did anyone try some of these at yesterday’s pick-up day? I was sadly sick and couldn’t make it.

the 2013 horseshoe syrah barrel sample was poured at the pickup day. As with my past experience with the horseshoe syrah, it was meaty, black pepper. Fine but really coating tannins. Big boned, but cool.

The most promising wine for me at the pick up yesterday was the 2013 Rhys Horseshoe Vineyard Syrah and this is coming from someone who does not gravitate towards Syrah typically. My very short notes were "excellent spice, pepper, not big but good fruit. These short notes not that meaningful probably, but I went back for three tastes just to be certain. I’ll break my pattern and get two 750 mls when these are out. The 2013 rhys Alpine Chardonnay has it all with very low oak treatment, subtle fruit, acid bite, citrus, a wonderful wine. I’ll be in for three 750 mls and a magnum which is all in for me. The Alesia Alder Springs Pinot would be a good “daily drinker” with its lower price. The 2013 Rhys Alpine Pinot Noir was too light for me. I couldn’t see how this was going to develop with fruit lacking. I tried it twice. I think others may have better insight into this wine and I am not comfortable with my conclusion. The tasting was outside accompanied with a very nice selection of sliced meats, crackers and bread. It was a delightful and generous event in a stunning setting with great weather and fellow Rhys followers and staff. Thank you for a wonderful day. All of you should get there – you won’t regret the effort.

anybody know which is the better Chard?

Some of the sliced meats were spicy which kinda clashed with the wines imho.

Can’t say one is “better”, just different. Honestly.

Went to the pickup as well, and all the wines poured showed very nicely. For some reason, I wrote down Skyline for the Chard, but apparently it was Alpine? Either way, it was delicious, showing plenty of minerality and tinge of lemon. Seemed a bit leaner and more reserved than some earlier vintages, which I remember as being more explosive. I think I like this 2013 as much or more. 2013 Alpine Pinot was remarkably good, with just a hint of its stems, nice medium depth of bright, dark cherry fruit, very nice balance and structure. And the Horseshoe Syrah was excellent, with medium dark red fruit, violet, spice, med tannins.

Did I miss something? No email today.

David,
Sorry about the email. We will look into that. In the meantime the offer is live and you can order on our our site.

Thanks for adding fuel to the fire of my “spring binge” Kevin - your site is simply too easy to order on. It really shouldn’t be that effortless. Really. In all seriousness, you guys have my favorite online ordering tool. Don’t even have to think about my login credentials!

Odd. Looked in my email, and all the prior notices (including the advance notice for this) were there. Weird. The folks at Rhys hooked me up with a new notice though, and as usual…order in!

I picked up a mag of the PN and Chard each. I love that shipping is included on Rhys bottles. Looking forward to these.

I had hoped to try the 12 Horseshoe chard before making a decision. As it is it is probably safest for me and the CC to passover this offer.

I passed for the first time this go round. I just have too much wine and need to stop buying by the case when I already get multiple case allocations each year. I found out piper is coming out soon and that case is not inexpensive anyway, so have to save my pennies.

I’ve always found the alpine chard a bit richer, rounder and a bit riper- more enjoyable in my opinion- but these Chardonnays are both incredible and I trust 2013 will be as good

I am not ashamed to admit that I have a problem.

That said, I am proud to say the I exercised restraint and passed.

I will buy what is allocated next winter/spring.

I picked up 2 magnums of the Horseshoe Pinot. I bought two of the Alpines last fall. My oldest son was born in 2013. I’m looking forward to comparing the two pinots in about 20 years – it remains to be seen if my boy will be invited to participate. :slight_smile: