Rhone trip revisited: California vs. Rhone blind tasting

Interesting to read this in light of the other thread where people complain about how overpriced Gonon is. Seems to fit in with the CA wines in terms of qpr, at least at your tasting.

Thanks for the insights and the notes!

That Nellessen Syrah is one of my favorite wines from Pax’s broad Wind Gap lineup. Each time I try it I find something new to like about it.

Only 12 wines? newhere

Seriously though, great write up on an awesome lineup!

Thank you for the notes, Alan. What a great line-up, tasting and group with which to taste the wines. Jealous as you had many of my favorites in the line up!

Wind Gap always shows very old world to my palate. Interesting that you guys included the Nellessen vineyard. I prefer the neighboring Majik and find it shows more classic syrah character (given its the cooler of the two vineyards, IIRC).

PS: I’ve only been once, but really enjoyed the food and wine program at Hillside Supper Club.

Alan, thanks for the time and focus to put all of this up for the community here. I really appreciate it. Invite me next time…pllllzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I will wash stems at the end of the night, or dishes!

I’ve enjoyed the Nellessen in the past, have a little left in the cellar. Good to see that wine and Pax’s work get recognized as it did above.

Bradley looks a little like a mad scientist in that photo above. Cool also to see his RR syrah get into the mix. I’m intent to visit him soon and taste his RR syrah. I enjoyed the 2011 he made of that wine, have some here.

Paul, I am curious. Why did several of you from CA place 2013s into the mix, yet Qupe supplied a 2012? If you’re going to look at CA and try and use a common lens, why the outlier?

Great tasting and notes
The Rhone wines would be approx 1000X better in 15-30 years, so please keep some bottles and report back champagne.gif

Rich

Pax got to choose any of his Syrahs from 2012 or 2013. He choose the Nellessen. I suspect he felt it was drinking better and a better match for the Rhones…

Frank

Maybe we can do a repeat in S.CA in the fall (post harvest)?
The CA guys could choose any of their 2012 or 2013 Syrah. Bob went for his '12 as he thought it was showing better.

Where will the wines be in 15-30 years? Where will we be? Carpe diem!

++1 for Mr Comiskey’s book on American Rhones. Should be required reading here:

What a great tasting, and great notes. Thanks!

Would love to see a similar tasting, even if it were half the bottles, of 10-15yo syrahs. To me, that longevity and evolution should be a greater test of the winemaker. Sure that eliminates a few (though i’m buying and holding Halcon because I have a good feeling it will age well). But Qupe, Ojai, Pax and others have a substantial history and could easily make that tasting possible. A bit more expensive for the French wines but definitely still possible.

Great pics and write-up. Thank you! So, can you share what food was included in this tasting session? I’m not asking for pairing advice–I’m just curious how you spaced so many tastings and kept your palate relatively neutral.

To further clarify, I’m asking because my friends and I have completed similar sessions (if not as well organized as yours) in the past but I’ve found that we got a little bogged down with either too much or too spicy/rich courses between each wine.

Thanks for any pro tips you can share :slight_smile:

Does anyone find it odd that the winner had only 11.9%ABV?

Unusual for Syrah methinks

Robert, this dinner was slightly unusual in that it was served family style, in courses. Honestly, I don’t even remember all of the food, but there was nothing overwhelmingly rich, nor anything particularly spicy. I know we had a salad course, pretty sure there was a salmon course, some kind of mild ravioli, and a lamb pot pie, which I remember being the best match to the wines. The food was very nice, but really I was more focused on the wines.

Paul, I would down for doing this in the OC for the Fall. Would dig talking it through with you.

1 Like

I thought the Hillside guys did a great job of selecting fairly neutral but flavorful dishes that matched the wines very well. They knew the wines to be poured.

Frank - let’s connect in a couple months and start the planning.

Kim

It did not show particularly low alcohol. I would have guessed closer to 13%. It did show a little green to my palate - it is 100% whole cluster. I though the Wind Gap was Clape.

Well done, Alan. Thanks for sharing. That 2013 Gonon sure is excellent, I’m sleeping on mind, just like the 2010s.

WOW! What a event, and I’m not event much of a Syrah/Rhone drinker. However tastings, or even just notes like this are amazing at catching more of my interest. Especially with the 2 Mendo wines being from producers who’s Pinots I buy.

I had a great time… great group of people and a couple of nice surprises… First of all, I need to drink more Andre Perret St Joseph LG… sexy little wine w/ a modern (read polished) and delicious fruit quality reminiscent of Gonan… also the Drew Perli Vineyard… a really pretty wine… really enjoyed that one and even guessed it as French… most of the wines were pretty easy to identify but those two humbled me… The Halcon was also a pleasant surprise and a really solid wine that showed great on this night… I liked the Qupe allot more than the others and felt that the Clape showed just as poorly as the last 5-8 bottles that I have had of Clape… I drink allot of Allemand, but have to admit that I like them younger than most people seem to… this bottling was better to my tastes 10-12 months ago… but then again maybe it was just upset from its travels… a bottle of 12 Chaillots in France last week was stronger than these two bottles… I would have preferred to have all of the wines in the same place and at the same temperature a good week ahead of the tasting… that being said, it was a wonderful night of Syrah and one that I was honored to be a part of.

Thanks Paul! and Thank you very much to Alan Rath for being on point with his documentation.

Drink more Syrah!

~Pax