Reynvaan Allocation

That would be a really nice option.

k.

That does sound like a good idea. Or at the very least, allow a bit of lag time between releasing one vintage and asking us to pony up for the next. Ie let me try the 2011 Foothills when I get in November and not ask me to buy the following vintage until December or January.

+1

I’ve been buying since 2008 vintage and have really enjoyed all the wines I’ve opened (mostly 2008s and a few 2009s). The annual $5-10/bottle increases that likely will not cease in the near future due to the critical praise and switch to an allocation system, along with the ever expanding offerings mean I will need to focus my buying on select wines rather than the entire portfolio. I’ll wait to make a decision on my allocation form until I taste the 2012s in barrel during Fall Release weekend, although the In The Rocks is a definite buy. Many other really good WA and non-WA syrahs available for much less $$.

Not sure whether these will be available at retail as the yet to be released 2011s are the first vintage that was allocation only. I have previously procured vintages 2008 - 2010 from Full Pull and other Seattle retailers (even Fred Meyer!) at good prices, but that may be harder to do going forward a la Cayuse.

The Stonessence is a no-brainer. It’s amazing wine.
I personally like In The Rocks, The Contender and Unnamed
Have not had a Foothills or In The Hills.

The real killer is Reynvaan allocations and Cayuse in the same week. Guess I will be working some overtime this fall.

Did the allocation notice indicate when the purchase period would end?

The e-mail said November 4th.

k.

'13 should be better than '12 in WA, if weather continues. I hadn’t heard nor seen '12 in WA being hyped like in Napa. Do you have a link Joel? Thanks.

I would completely disagree with this. '12 was a warm year, '13 has been a hot one. All the winemakers in Walla Walla I’ve talked to this weekend have shown a little uneasiness with how hot this year has been. They’re not sure that flavors will develop to what they would like before sugars spike and acids drop. In '12, they didn’t have as much of a worry with that, as the grapes could hang for a bit longer before the sugars were too high. There will definitely be excellent wines in '13, it will just take a bit more winemaking skill to get them there.

First, '13 isn’t in, and cooler weather is here to let flavors catch up without sugar spikes, and Walla Walla needs some heat for ripeness to be attained, otherwise the herbal flavors stick around, which I like the savory side of herbal, not the green side. But WA in general is on pace for some great wines in Yakima, Zillah, and while they don’t need heat on Red Mtn., should get better balance with the 80s and mid-70s they’ll see.

I’ll be out there soon to get fruit off Elephant Mtn., and report back flavors, but I’m looking forward to '13 so far.

Exactly, and yet you’re already calling '13 as better than '12.

Did anyone make it to the tasting this weekend? Any thoughts on the 2012 wines for those of us not in WW?

I attended on Friday. Absolutely gorgeous day at the winery. Had a nice discussion with Mike Reynvaan. Really great guy and was a pleasure to talk to him.

Really loved the 2012s across the board with Stonessence and In the Rocks being my favorites. My wife preferred the Unnamed. Upon first taste, I was unsure about how I felt about the two Foothills estate wines (one 100% Syrah and one 90% Syrah/10% Viognier). Definitely different from the other Syrahs, but upon a second visit I found them both very interesting and worth purchasing.

Ended up buying one three pack of each offering. I was allocated two of each, so someone will have their wish list granted.

Thanks for this. I am turning in my allocation tonight.

k.

I think the 2012s are the first year where there are clear and distinct differences between the different bottlings. They also have toned down the “rocks funk” a bit, to a point where there is an elegance to it, and it isn’t punching you in the face. I’ll write up more detailed notes on each wine later tonight when I get home, but the standouts to us where the Unnamed, In The Rocks, and Stonessence.

We were there October 19th and were able to barrel sample the 2012 In the Rocks, Unnamed, and Stonessence. They were all fantastic but In the Rocks and Unnamed were my favorites.

Still trying to decide if I am going to order though, it has been a pricey wine year thus far. I want it but hate to wait a year to get it.

Oh, go ahead! You can have my allocation. You will not be able to drink it for 4-5 years anyway. [snort.gif]

Dennis, I am still waiting for you to spill the beans on the other Syrah you mentioned that was as good but half the price.

You guys are starting to sound like my wife. Always trying to pin me down. pileon
I wrote a brilliant explanation, but the CT Forum was loading so slowly I went to bed. Sorry Eric, my PC connection sucks. [snort.gif]
To paraphrase this is only as pertains to my affordability index. Originally in the $40 range, I could be a player. $50 starts to hurt and $60+ is single bottle range. The same can be said for FM and I passed on Lillian this year. Now I admit these are very good wines, but for my money Cabot and Joseph Swan in the mid $20s are better value.
Also, my tastes have moved on to a more restrained, acid driven cool climate style. Any one say Pinot Noir? [stirthepothal.gif]

Here are my notes from tasting through the '12s:

In The Hills - Almost rocks funk (like what you can get from Les Collines vineyard from time to time) w/ a bit of sweet green pepper.
Foothills in the Sun - Clean dirt, blackberry w/stems, subtle expansiveness
Unnamed - Clean blueberry, dark cocoa finish, pretty wine
In the Rocks - More grip, chewy, dark violets, blackberry jam
Contender - Explosive, expansive, elegant rocks funk w/ dark fruit
Stonessence - Dark juicy, bigger, almost chewy, dirty, shut down, lots there, not showing a lot now, but will in time

My favorites were the Foothills, Unnamed, and Contender, with Stonessence being 4th.