Retroactive Sales Tax

Why would I owe tax locally on something I took ownership of (because of a disclaimer) in the other state.

The question is whether your state agrees with this disclaimer, which I doubt they would if they pressed for tax info.

You are going to owe double tax if this issue is pressed imo.

I didn’t think states had in the past tried to collect sales tax on sales leaving that state. That’s what made buying out of state so attractive, not just for wine.

That strikes me as complete BS, and a formula to get in trouble with the tax authorities at both ends of the line, particularly after Wayfair. This seems particularly risky given that they have alcohol licenses that might be jeopardized. Most wineries seem to run scared on tax issues, for good reason.

They do now but seemingly only for wine, which for us could be a problem when each state starts staking it’s claim. I’m all for paying fair tax, but don’t see how this one will be resolved once the receiving state realizes what’s going on.

I think it’s well beyond wine at this point - most major retailers are now collecting the sales tax of the state to which the online order is being shipped. Prior to Wayfair states were not able to collect that tax (or at least couldn’t enforce their tax rules against out of state shippers with no in-state presence). Now they can.

So, what you should be paying is your state’s sales tax on any shipments, wine or otherwise, to you.

Wow - I think if you’re on the DOR list from spot checks at weigh stations you should win the excessibe baller prize.

Ha. A rather ignominious award.

[cheers.gif]

This is a great article. Thanks for posting, John. Right about now, I’m glad I never purchase wine from retailers outside my home state, a luxury that living in CA reasonably allows me.

Joe,
I’d pay the taxes.

So your suggesting to pay the NY tax and then claim local taxes?
No other online order besides wine charges tax from the purchased state, it’s all from the delivered to state.

Or will the correct answer to the tax man be, no I paid taxes already in NY you see. I purchased those online and took delivery via proxy in NY when I purchased them, the disclaimer told me so?

I’ve yet to hear anybody tell me outright that we now need to pay double tax or the opposite which is I’m cleared of local tax responsibilities because I’ve paid my taxes via a virtual purchase in another state.

You definitely do not owe double taxes. Most states offer reciprocity for taxes paid to another state.

No, I’m saying that you should pay the relevant sales tax for the state you live in or have the wine shipped to (which usually are the same, but if not, the state to which it’s shipped). Many online commerce companies do this now already. If they don’t, and don’t charge tax, them you’re usually responsible for paying your home state’s sales tax although it’s rare that you’ll get caught if you don’t.