Retailers in St. Louis, MO?

I don’t remember most of the labels I noticed when there last - but I can attest to one main thing: the bulk of the bigger wholesalers in Northern Missouri leave MUCH to be desired. I am lucky that I am with a couple of smaller wholesalers who are very quality oriented - but I have quite a few horror stories with the bigger suppliers. I DO have to be careful what I say here, but the bulk of them seem to “collect” wineries and labels with absolutely no incentive to actually go out and place the products.

One other big problem in Missouri is this; you must post your prices and NEVER deviate from them - so there is NO wheeling and dealing done between the second and third tier of the distribution chain. Hence the higher prices. In most markets you get 10% to 20% off list prices - not in Missouri - it’s all net net.

And Mr. Wolff - we have strayed far from your original post - and I did not know you were from Ontario. I came to STL from San Francisco. The Wine Club and KL were literally within walking distance and perusing those shops is probably not rivaled by too many in the entire country, so I was spoiled.
Wine and Cheese is the best: beer, cheese, meats, and wine. As David notes, their Rhone is pretty good and as everyone agrees, the cherry Burgs don’t make it to the shelves. The Wine Merch is around the corner, I prefer the former, but worth poking in and probably better than what they are offering in Ontario. The basement of Ladue Market is a trip, but I’d try to pay 15cents on the dollar if you buy anything as some have been great, but some have been toast.
If you are here on a Friday or Sat, let us know. David, Greg, Will and I and others are prone to Domaine get togethers. I guarantee you I have something that would interest you…probably.

Many thanks for all the responses. The comment above on “interesting selection of under $100 wines that you don’t typically see elsewhere, then you might have some luck, particularly if you’re into . . . Italian wines” is apt, so I am reasonably optimistic and will look into some of the recommendations if time allows.

If the comparison is NYC I don’t know that you will be impressed. However, if the comparison is NYC then you probably aren’t going to be impressed anywhere else you go. Overall I agree with Thomas’s assessment. Go to Clayton, which is about 15 min from downtown and assessable by public transit if desired. There you will find Wine and Cheese and the Wine Merchant. Both are nice shops. As others pointed out, if you want top end wines off the shelf you will be more disappointed. Clayton also has many excellent restaurants and is generally an upscale part of town.

There are other decent places in town, but if staying downtown that is as far afield as I’d be likely to venture. 33 and Randall’s are both closer to downtown and are worth checking out if you find yourself near the Soulard and Lafayette Square area.

Hope that you enjoy yourself!

Anyone have an updated opinion on Starr’s in STL? I found a few bottles on the website I can’t find anywhere else and was considering shipping MO to MO, but I’ve never been there.