Retailer Recommendation: Vinopolis in Portland, OR

Great shop!

Late delivery of pre-sell is probably a delay in the distributor portion of wine logistics. As opposed to the shop itself.

Suzanne is awesome.

Bought prearrivals from them for years, then they dropped the ball completely recently and I had to chase them for refunds. Took my business elsewhere.

A nice shop with a fun selection and generally good prices, but really awkward service in my experience.

Last time I was there, a customer was putting together a mixed case and kept mentioning wines he liked (Turley, Biale, Caymus, Silver Oak, etc.) and they kept recommending Cameron. Wtf?

Nolan, the shop went through a transition a few years ago. For many years they had some of the most knowledgeable and experienced staff in Portland. A decision was made to transition to less experienced staff in order to maintain (or improve) competitiveness. As a result they quite often advertise the best prices on Wine Searcher…which is probably why people jump on their futures.

They do NOT use the Premier Cru business model. Their inventory is substantial! Most of their pre-order wines are expected within a week. Unfortunately with futures, they’re at the mercy of their distributors so that’s likely what the tie up is that started this thread.

I don’t know how much of their sales are “pre-order” but would imagine its limited…especially since their newsletters (i.e yesterday) advertise wines that are largely in-stock…approximately 80 - 90% of them.

RT

Always have great prices and a good selection, have bought quite a bit of Belle Pente from there over the years.

I purchased a lot from them pre-transition, not as frequently since. All transactions have been drama free. A great store in my experience. [cheers.gif]

Nice store, nice people, nice wine, nice prices.
Phil Jones