Retail pricing

Do they write down the inventory at the same time?

Well. tariffs are political. What else would you call them?

Thanks for the firsthand anecdote. The rest of us are just speculating/theorizing.

Did you increase your prices 10% and then an additional 25%? Were you worried about maintaining you percentage margin, or simply maintaining at least your existing dollar markup?

Yes, but not in Nathan’s twisted way.

By “self-importing” I suppose you mean bringing it back as a personal allowance as a tourist? How much can one bring back without being subject to customs/tariffs? IIRC, you have to “declare” anything you bought no matter how mundane, but last few flights home (IAD airport FWIW) I’ve never actually seen anyone go into the “customs” area. Surely most people coming home - even on work trips - bought some type of personal souvenir…

Touché

Is he “twisted”?

Or simply pulling our leg and hanging it out to dry?

I affirmatively noticed a lack price increase on existing Costco stock. I was keeping my eye on the 2014 Pontet Canet, which stayed at its pre-tariffs price until.it was gone.

Right, and competitive pricing, which is why that owner did this. I didn’t price this way as a wine manager, but I was very aware of the market, which often meant taking very low markups on items that were widely available or had gone through pricing changes at the wholesale level.

Our local wine shops have passed on the first tarif but are sitting on their hands right now waiting to see if the second one even goes in. All of them tell me their businesses are in danger if there is a 100% tarif.

I don’t believe there is a fixed limit that’s been defined. As long as it’s a small-ish amount and clearly not being brought in to be re-sold they won’t mind. Last time I was in France I brought back 9 or 10 bottles, told Customs about it, and they just waved me through