Restaurants in Portland Maine

Scales was fantastic when we went a year and a half ago. Would definitely return if ever back in Portland.

Has anyone been to Crown Jewel? Is it worth the ferry ride?

In a class by itself.

2 Likes

Hit up Scales tonight. It was okay, but nothing to write home about. The real surprise was a wine shop:

https://www.maineandloire.com/germany

Was also able to pick up some @Vincent_Fritzsche in addition to many of my favorite German wines. Going to Twelve tomorrow.

Also heard good things about Belleville Bakery.

Cool to hear this! I’ll be in Portland ME next week and plan to stop in at Scales and Maine & Loire, among others. Great town. On a busy NE swing this week and next. Not sure what time I’ll have for any berserker meet ups but hope to swing something.

1 Like

On Great Diamond Island is a great restaurant called Crown Jewel. You need a boat to get there, and we used Fogg’s Water Taxi. It’s located in an old barrack from Fort McKinley, but have done an amazing job to make it feel like an island much further south. Great oysters and small plates.

Tandem Bakery & Coffee at 742 Congress St has the best buttermilk biscuits and sticky buns/cinnamon rolls. A must stop for us when we are in Portland.

1 Like

I friend of mine who I went to high school with, has a bistro named Bingers Wingas! Check out the wings!

2nd the belleville recco for croissants, esp. almond and their rhubarb pastry. Long line tho.

1 Like

Any summer updates? We’ll be in Portland a few nights later this summer. Have booked Regards and Minato so far. We’ll be in York/Ogunquit before that where the food seems pretty straightforward so trying for more interesting options…

Thought Scales was overrated. We liked Crown Jewel, Twelve, and The Shop by Island Creek Oysters for lighter fare. Maine & Loire was a good wine shop.

1 Like

Belleville had amazing pastries.

1 Like

Super disappointing meal at Regards. Food, service…nothing hit right.

Izakaya Minato was better and less than half the price in the small plates category. Not amazing but the cheapest lunch/dinner we had in a week (lobster rolls are expensive!) so the qpr is certainly high.

Walked into Honey Paw yesterday for lunch and then reservation at Helm for dinner. Easily the two best meals of the trip. Very different…Honey Paw certainly in the slightly “stoner food” category - a bit sweet and sticky overall but all in balance (except one noodle dish) - Helm just perfect oyster and crudo, excellent duck confit too.

Love Becky’s for breakfast. Luckily our hotel was a block away. Perfectly executed diner.

Maine and Loire is a killer wine shop, picked up some Falkenstein and some other fun stuff…no shipping.

Ate well in Ogunquit area too…the Tiller at our hotel (Cliff House) was pricey but very good and the view is absolutely amazing. Highly recommend the hotel as well. Lots of kids but separate kids and adults pools so great whether or not you have kids with you.

Besides the small plates restaurants portions everywhere in Maine are huge.

1 Like

Saw mention of Belfast, and outskirts of Portland, so wanted to add my few cents, spent in the summertime.
Portland - Maine&Loire wine store is great. Been to Fore a few times and always enjoyed lunch there, but haven’t been in about 4 years.
Biddeford, just south of Portland, has Palace Diner. Great spot, with fantastic food. Always make a stop there. Haven’t found a miss on menu yet. Former Beard nominee.
Belfast has “Chases Daily” which is a pretty good lunch spot, with daily specials. “Satori” has sushi and craft cocktails, and food is pretty good. This location has been a pop up for multiple chefs over the years, but Satori has stuck and been here for past 2-3 years. Outside of Belfast, is “Young’s Lobster Pound” which is as good as it gets for lobstah.
South of Belfast, is Rockland, a little gem of a town for food/galleries. “Suzuki’s Sushi Bar” is for me, destination dining, worth the trip, superb use of locally caught/farmed produce. Eat there every year and love it. Drive 1h30 each way to do so. Evenings only, and never had a bad meal. Call to book. Also just outside town is “Primo”, which is higher end dinning, Beard nominee chef, Ate there during pandemic, and food was great, service was a bit iffy, but that could happen anywhere on an off night. Wyeth museum, multiple galleries, nice little town.
Up on Deer Isle, you have “Aragosta”, Beard nominee, tasting course menu. Food is always good, service again can be a little hit and miss, sommelier is very enthusiastic with varied offerings.
Haven’t eaten at Erin French’s Lost place in Freedom as reservations are oversubscribed/postcard system which is a little OTT IMHO.
Blue Hill area has “Tinder Hearth” pizza restaurant which made it to NYT top list for some unknown reason. Pizza is very good, but ordering can be a somewhat hysterical process in summer.