Restaurant using a Coravin to pour expensive wines by the glass

Very cool!!! Basically a minimum of 1 ounce and up from there. Would be curious to know if their wine sales have gone up. On the one hand people no longer have to order a full bottle but on the other hand it is easier to tailor a pour to a particular guest if not everyone wants wine and easier to “upsell” because someone might pay $30 or $40 for a pour but not hundreds for a bottle.

I think this is the best use for the Coravin. It is showing up locally here as well.

Do you need a different machine / needle for each wine?

How TIME consuming is the process?

the time spent extracting the wine is the same as opening a bottle with a screwpull. i.e. negligible increase compared to pulling the bottle out of the fridge, pulling a cork, and pouring.

the cartridge use would need to be tracked and replaced, presumably in downtime.

you can shoot out any leftover wine from the needle easily… no issue with contamination imo.

Has anyone seen any restaurant in Los Angeles doing this yet?

Coravin reps coming here next week to make a pitch for us to use it in our bar. I’m on the fence about it, hence my questions above.

I’ve been snarky about the idea of the Coravin because it seemed so nerdy and unromantic, wine is to be opened and enjoyed fully, not sampled with the equivalent of an eyedropper in a lab. Until this thread. This is terrific! I can try wines I otherwise never would have tried! The only problem is, I am incapable of evaluating or enjoying a wine sample that is less than 2 ounces. I don’t know why but I need to feel some weight of the wine in my mouth.

So awesome. I agree with those saying that this is the best use for a Coravin.

Being done in San Francisco at a couple places as well.

Shhh…what happens at The Monterrey…just kidding Chad is a great dude. This place happens to have the best Austrian and German selection in all of Texas during the summers (ill put it up against the NY places that do the same Riesling summer programs).

Looks like its time for a trip back down south.

The Carlton in Pittsburgh is using a coravin.

I back and finally able to post after a long day.

I think this place is a gem and a real joy for geeks like us. With minimal markups and always interesting selections, I make it a must visit the four or five times a year I’m in San Antonio. I found a Rivers-Marie Occidental Ridge Pinot for $65 and Bedrock, Peay, Donhoff, other board favorites barely above retail. Since San Antonio is a big convention city, if any of you want to avoid the tourist traps on the river, the five minute cab ride will be a great reward.

I have yet to see the Coravin in use in Houston so it surprised me. Good to see its use might benefit me somewhere down the road.

I think 13 Celsius breaks out the Coravin sometimes.

Ryan I sent you a PM

I had planned to use it on a couple of bottles tonight to see how it works inn the middle of a shift, but we were reall busy. So maybe on sat night.

The Pluckemin Inn in Bedminster, NJ is now using a Coravin for better by the glass selections.

long overdue.

Just had dinner last night at a new restaurant in LA called Fifty Seven (current chef in residence is David Nayfeld) and they’re supposedly going to introduce a Coravin program to the list. Funner dinner spot for you LA locals.