Request- Recommendations/advice for a winery truck

I personally don’t like driving the tow rig much at all, 2500 regular cab long bed 6.0l gas work truck.
Its just not that comfortable and rides like a truck as well as a huge turning radius.
Long bead is great for pallets of wine(2 2-3 layers high) or bins (2 deep up to 3 high), used it to tow a trailer with 6 full bins a couple times this year.

WIth kids and such I would think you may need 2 rigs to fit all the specs your asking for.
I wold get a commuter car/small suv/wagon with all the safety options and great milage for daily driving, and a old used tow rig for when you need it.
Diesels are great (my daily driver is a turbo 3.0l bio20 powered rig) but the upfront coast is much greater on the new trucks.
It takes a couple hundred thousand miles of better mileage to offset the upfront cost of a diesel truck.
Scheduled maintenance for 3/4 and 1 ton diesel trucks are quite expensive especially now with particulate filters, they also seem to burn thru tires rather quick.

Toyota Tundra. Absolutely amazing truck. Ours has about 110k miles on it and still runs like new. We routinely haul 5 tons at at time.

Greg, with all respect, if you’re hauling 5 tons with a Tundra, your breaking the law and not using good judgement.

Thanks all for providing insight and perspective. Great to get so many data points. This is exactly the type of feedback i was looking for… I may post a Google Doc with the highlights/summaries.

thanks again,
Sasha

I’ve made my decision on my truck: GMC or Chevy 4x4 Duramax diesel with 6 speed Allison auto. Regular cab (it is a work truck after all and I want to save a couple of bucks) 8 foot bed. AC, power windows, AM/FM and not many other frills. Trying to find one of these isn’t all that easy as it seems the whole world has gone extra cab or double cab crazy! Hope to get it this month.

Here she is!
hood.JPG
Think I’ll call her plain Jane. She does have power windows/doorlocks, keyless entry, cruise, am/fm/cd, rubber floor mats and six cup holders for those road sodas when we’re out shootin stuff!
truck.JPG

Nice rig you got there, congrats on the purchase!
I would by the same thing if the need arrises and mine dies.
Oh the good old days of regular cab and regular beds are gone, only texas land sleds these days.

Very nice Casey. Love the plain Jane/Joe look in white. GMC did a nice suspension/frame overhaul with the 2011 and newer HD models without changing the body style. I only wish that GMC/Chevy did the 6.5ft bed crew cab with single rear wheel like Ford does. Their 5-5.5ft bed is too small…Congrats.

Now comes the challenge of getting all my shit in this thing. My Honda Pilot was a handy little ranch vehicle. Highway flares, blanket, handgun, tools, rain gear, shopping bags, binoculars, tie downs and straps extra gloves etc. Already working on which tool box configuration. Leaning towards the wheel well style to that I don’t lose any bed length.

Casey - Would across the bed tool chest work for your stuff if it was shallow? That would still give you the 8ft length on the lower bed area. If that works add a kick step on each side to reach any part of the box. …Gary

Yep, thinking seriously about that option too. Sometimes those things create a no-mans-land about 8 inches high where shit gets lost or stuck. All my Coors cans and shotgun shells would end up there!

Wheel well style is great to still use the bed for 2 bins deep with tailgate closed. Can always throw in a rubermaid tub in needed for more supplies per job of the day.

Maiden voyage of the Duramax diesel and gooseneck trailer bringing a tractor back from the shop. No sweat going over 253! No more rental trucks for me!
trailer.jpg

Looks nice, Casey!

late to the party - but if you’re looking at a truck that’ll haul fruit - do it right and get a flatbed. Will make everything easier in the longrun. I’d look for a F250/350 Powerstroke w/ a Flatbed. You can load that up with up 8 empty bins and haul 2.5 tons back without a problem. Those mean diesel engines will also last forever if you treat it right.

Isn’t that a sexy beast?

Don’t be afraid to fly out to somewhere to pick up a rig and drive it back. I know quite a few who have done that and have saved 5-10k by looking outside the Bay Area.