Remoissenet

Sorry to resurrect an old thread…

Such an interesting tidbit. I was just there and noticed a ton of Remoissenet wines. Makes sense!

I am pretty sure PAR was just an employee and is no longer mentioned in the bio I just read. The domaine is still owned by Edward Millstien who was a regular poster on the Squires board.

2 Likes

I thought I read that their wine today (especially the whites) are greatly improved. I remember selling/importing them in the 1980s and they were known for a) having reserve stocks of older wines which they would release periodically and b) being solid but not exemplary. More than one conversation mentioned the old practice of strengthening burgundy with a bit of something from the south (syrah, grenache?) which was more common in the 19th century and whether it still applied to some of the older wines in their portfolio. All the ones I tasted were “solid” but one wonders about wines from the forties showing as fruit bombs in the 1980s. The '53s and '64s I had were again all “solid” and I would not hesitate to try one if the price was right.

This has been an interesting thread so far. I’d like to add a few things to the discussion. I have a good friend, now close to 90 years old, who had a multi-decades long commercial and personal relationship with Rolland Remoissenet. As a result, he bought many of his wines on release and still has a fair bit in his cellar. I must have tasted over 100 bottles of them going back to the 50s/60s/70s Based on my experience, as well as extensive conversations about Remoissenet with my friend, I have a few things I’d like to share:

1. In my view, the older wines are excellent and do not have the recognition they deserve. I believe this is in part due to the decline in popularity of negociants (in general).
  2. My friend would regularly taste his wines in barrel during these early years. He has an excellent palate and could tell that some of Remoissenet’s sources were exceptional at that time. Rolland was super secretive about his sources, but my friend knew they were “top of the top.”
  3. Almost every old bottle I’ve tasted came across as young for its age, much like others on this thread have observed.
  4. BUT, the majority of these old wines are ones that my friend purchased on release. In other words, they weren’t late releases where someone would have had the opportunity to top them up in the cellar with younger wine.
  5. My friend indicated that Rolland regularly topped up older bottles but ONLY with Pinot.

Happy holidays to everyone!

3 Likes

I mind less when a wine is topped off with the same wine. My Remoissenet concern is that it is with a younger wine. Fills are very high, corks new, and wines often taste very very young.

1 Like

What if they fill up the whole vintage bottle with a younger wine? :smile:

I’ve had some meh bottles of Remoissenet Santenay premiers, but also some really nice Meursault premiers (Les Cras, if I remember correctly, from 2019 and 2017).

I had an opportunity to purchase some “bin end” 2011s at extremely discounted prices. Over Thanksgiving weekend we had the Vosne-Romanee Suchots which was no less than fantastic with plenty of good drinking ahead. I have had a number of wines from Remoissenet over the last 20 years that have been good to excellent. Happy to come across well-stored and well-priced bottles as the wines are underappreciated owing to the lack of market pizzazz.

1 Like

James Suckling is a huge cigar lover.

1 Like

I’m glad this thread was resurrected! Thanks everyone for the discussion.

The only bottle I have is a 97 Romanée St Vivant. Curious from which producer they got the grapes.

JF

There are some old Remoissenent G-crus released not too long ago and some are still available at LCBO - vintage stores in Ontario, Canada. For example : the Richebourg 1953 at CA $3350 and there are 16 bottles left.

LCBO Web also showed that they had the 1978 Remoissebent Richebourg - Mgm - at CA $4630 and the single bottle at CA $2240.

they were all gone…and curious how they are. Hope to see some TNs…about them !!..

1 Like

Or depending on year, Algerian wine is the rumour that the domaine didn’t deny (adding other wine was not uncommon in burugundy in the 50s they said, and they don’t have records).

I’ve had limited experience, always enjoyed the wines, always with my eyes open as to the possibilities.

yes but also a ton of Camus

Had the 64 Remoissenet Clos Vougeot tonight. Superb!

Yeah not sure what the story on those are…they’ve got tons of it and it is very affordable by comparison. I’ve had there 02 charmes Chambertin and thought it was a pretty poor effort.

1 Like

Their 1964 Clos Vougeot was one of my all time favorites of their wines. I have had a few bottles over the years.

1 Like

Had a Bourgogne Blanc recently and it was Meh. Astringent and not pleasant. It was a 2017.

1 Like