Reductive vs Sulfur

A tangentially related question (on sulfites, not on reduction).

I was wondering that does the level of total sulfites change over time in wine? The level of free sulfites certainly drops with age as the free sulfur compounds get bound. However, do the bound sulfites remain in the wine unchanged or do they dissipate? Break up? Do anything over the years? All I know that they might release their bound compounds, becoming free and then becoming bound sulfites once again, but that’s another story.

If amount of total sulfites remains unchanged, does this mean a wine aged for a prolonged time in barrels increase in concentration of total sulfites (as the wine evaporates over time, but the total amount of total sulfites remains stable)?

I’d really appreciate some actual facts and research results on this matter, not just educated guesses!

Why do I bother? :wink:

A penny works just fine. It’s just the surface area of copper that matters, it doesn’t have to be solid copper. Many of us have copper sticks now. I just use a penny with fishing line tied to it for easy retrieval. Dan now has copper sticks with McCarthy and Schiering imprinted on them (via Chris). (of course, if it’s serious irreversible reduction, with disulfide bonds, the wine won’t change either, so this is not an absolute rule).

I love well-integrated matchstick reduction, too. In Burgundy, PYCM, Roulot, and, to a lesser extent, Lamy. Older (90s) but not newer Leflaive.

In the US, Sandhi.

Thanks, I haven’t had that experience w/ PYCM yet…Roulot is a good call, but equally $$$. I will give Sandhi a shot…I haven’t tried those yet.

1 Like

Whaaa…???

Thats kinda PYCMs thing.

Actually, I should say it was only in the 2014 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Créot. Now that I look back it was there in spades…funny how easy it is to forget. It wasn’t there in the Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Abbaye de Morgeot Cuvée Clement Emma or in the Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly though. Now that I look back, it’s easy to see why I was so jazzed about the En Créot.

1 Like

Thanks, Nick,

All of this was very helpful; especially the above. On another note, fwis I just served a bunch of your 2012 Scallop Shelf (and a little 2012 Pomarium) at my son’s bar-mitzvah reception. Opened them about an hour before serving and they were showing beautifully; lots of oohs and aahs from the crowd. Keep up the good work!

Boisson-Vadot and related family wines.