Reduction-the new Curse

Rotten eggs? Burning rubber? I’ve been into wine for about 15 years and I’ve never encountered those smells. TCA is another head scratcher for me. I"ve never smelled wet cardboard in a wine. Brett and oxidation, however, is something I can detect a mile away. Weird.

I agree. It doesn’t really blow off. What I think happens is your threshold drops after the initial opening because it is so strong so after a few hours the wine appears relatively fine relative to how it was after opening. Just a theory: YMMV.

I"ve never smelled wet cardboard in a wine

David - you are lucky. Most corked wines smell wet-cardboard.

Funny- I figured out what reduction is for me fairly recently. It is the smell of Cheerios. It is even the wheat-y wheat bran taste/smell of Cheerios. Exactly. For me, anyway. Definitely get it in a lot of young Burg.

So what would a reduced wine be a 60-65+?

Or like 50-59? How do you account for this in your point index? Is it in the appendix [help.gif] [help.gif]

Some blows off, some doesn’t. Let’s not go overboard here. Jamie Goode has some information on this at A few thoughts on reduction – Jamie Goode's wine blog

I guess you don’t drink Northern Rhones.

Good point, hardly new. Wet wool is essentially a terroir note in the Loire, Alsace…

How did you arrive at your conclusion that the wheaty/Cheerios smell comes from reduction?
None of the sulfur compounds associated with reductive winemaking are reported to have that aromatic profile.

Jamie Goode to the rescue: a longer article on reduced sulfur compounds.

There are different types of reduced sulfur compounds, as others have pointed out. Some blow off when oxidation occurs. Others are permanent.

A few of us in Burgundy are actually quite upset about this trend. It frankly is a terrible flaw, some others even think it a benefit to the wines, potentially aiding in a wine’s aging and maturation. I don’t buy it. As an aside, I don’t buy into many of these other old ‘wisdoms’ that you hear so much of. Why would you wish to wait for a wine to be drinkable? Who knows how much time we’ve anyhow? And what if the cork is faulty? Another crummy traditional relic. The wine should be consumed right after it arrives which is precisely why we will henceforth be bottling in natural aluminum cans with pull tabs. We supply everything but the straw.

[cheers.gif]

I think, Ray, that will be a good solution for many Burg “fans” who post here, judging from the vast majority of posts. Why wait till “it’s/its time”, as the old tv commercial used to say. Isn’t aluminum a bit too longlasting/durable? This is thinking too much “out of the box”? Instead,what about the stuff they use for juice boxes or the milk in the box they seem to like in France? More "inside the box thinking, n’est-ce pas? pileon

Thanks for the link - Greg.

It seems that people in Southwest England are currently getting first-hand experience in French reduced sulfur compounds – a type of mercaptan in this case.

Ray can I get my Chambertin in tall boys this year ? I hear they age better.