Rediscovering Santa Rita Hills Pinot Noir

Domaine de Le Cote - hard to beat.
Best, jim

Mitch as to cost we received the industry discount. Their price is in line with most SRH single vineyard producers. Some are in the $75 per bottle range. Consider joining their wine club. Most wine clubs offer a 15-20% discount.
I agree with Larry about Kessler our neighbor to the west. I should have included them. Their pricing is quite good.

Brian,

Sorry - was not trying to be flippant. And I totally understand your point and your perspective, especially after sampling a number of producers. I totally get it. My point is that there are plenty of folks doing wonderful things IMHO from parts of the SRH outside of the narrow area you were mentioning. And some of these folks are killing it at more reasonable prices - that’s all . . .

Cheers

I think you must have got your tasting rooms mixed up. The ABC tasting room in downtown Santa Barbara is open noon to 6 pm during the week, and 11 am to 6 pm on weekends. In fact we were there at 11:45 am on Thursday June 15th and they were already open.

Interesting. I was definitely at the right place. It was the day before you were there at roughly 4:00. Lights on, door locked. Place empty. It looked open and I thought maybe someone just stepped out for a few minutes so I wandered around and came back to check again and it’s still empty and locked. Then I saw the sign that said wine tasting sat and sun so assumed that meant they were only open weekends now.

I can’t help. All I have tried are SVDs. All are very good and I liked them all. My favorite was the Sanford and Benedict but I generally prefer the S&B over most others.

The Santa Barbara County generic bottling is definitely more oriented to earlier drinking. I don’t have it every vintage, but have enjoyed it when I’ve had it. The SVD’s are more complex and often a little dense young, but well balanced and elegant in style. I think they’re ideally 5-10 years from vintage wines or more.