Red Wine with Mexican Food

I wonder what the majority of the go to wines are at Pujol in Mexico City. They have a mole that has to be a couple thousand days old now. When I visited Valle Guadalupe, we went to Viñas Garza and they have an exclusive contract with Enrique Olvera (Pujol), Quintonil, and a few others to buy barrels of their wine. Havent been to CDMX in a minute but I should go soon and wine and dine. Anyone on this forum ever been to Pujol or Quintonil?

1 Like

I didn’t go to Pujol (couldn’t get the reservation) but did go to another acclaimed CDMX dining spot and the wine pairings tended to be Spanish primarily, with a good bit of French (Loire, Alsace) in there too. Worked beautifully and you can’t really pick one varietal or region for Mexican food as a whole, it really comes down to the individual dish, which does make it a tougher cuisine to pair with. Spanish whites were perhaps the only thing that worked somewhat universally (albarino with seafood dishes, for example).

1 Like

Spatlese, Auslese.

Mmmmm.

Edit: Dang! Sorry, I overlooked ‘red wine.’

So, Grenache.

1 Like

Since you’re local to Chicago: I always take Spanish/Portuguese wines to Chilam Bilam and they rarely miss.

1 Like

I agree in a lot of cases. Especially Grenache/garnacha for reds and then Albarino for white. Rioja and Priorat are trickier though…they work with certain Mexican dishes, but can be really awful pairings for many too. Haven been to Chilean Balam, but it’s come across my radar a few times. I’ve got a couple favorites in Logan that I keep going back to over and over again, but definitely need to venture out a bit.

1 Like

It’s Mexican, but not tacos and not a ton of heat. Great BYOB spot, but sadly limited to a 1 bottle per 2.

2 Likes