Red Corton Wines

About 17 years ago when I was in a small but high end BYO wine dinner group, we always had an 8 top at 11 Madison Park with a somm and great wines. The best dinner I had there was probably my best US meal anywhere. Grand Cru Burgundy was the theme with a custom menu to match. I was hoping my wine would deliver amongst other GC. I brought 93 Jadot Corton Pougets and it held its own against heavy weights such as 90 Bachelet Charmes Chambertin-one of my top 3 Burgundy experiences.

From an old tasting note, I think you need not keep waiting.

Made in a lighter style then…and was very good and nearing maturity 8 years ago, IMO.

godot

Forgo no more Gadot. Thanks.

If you really want a grand cru that is reasonably priced (relative to other grand crus) and can taste good on the younger side (although very primary and not nearly what it will become) I recommend Chapelle Chambertin, Latricieres Chambertin and Charmes Chambertin over Corton. But, really, if you aren’t going to let the wines age, what really is the point of buying a Grand Cru Burgundy - just to say you have had one without really having any sense of why they are special?

Yes, it’s a very steep hill and the vineyard is horseshoe shaped, so you have very different exposures and elevations at different points within Corton.
Corton vineyard.jpg

I dont think this map is correct. The portion of Les Meix southeast of the village is premier cru, not GC.

Can’t really think of much Red Corton I would consciously seek out. But I will say that while I used to think DRC’s Corton was absolutely bottom of the hierarchy, the last few vintages have been impressive. I think I like it more than Echezeaux. Which is a low bar I guess, but still!

Seconding Domaine des Croix and Chandon des Briailles though. Stylistically different but tasty stuff.

Outside of DRC, it seems most good Cortons are priced about the same as good 1er crus. Seems about right to me.

Tonight I’m opening a Domaine Laurent 2006 Corton. No idea from whom he sourced his grapes that year. The main reason for opening is to check in, since I bought my bottles back in 2008 or 2009 for all of $25.00 from Premier Cru. There have been a lot of notes stating that the Corton purchased from the infamous Premier Cru have been cooked. Presumably due to the storage/shipping of PC’s source, not inherent to all 2006 Laurent Corton…

Well, if the bottle says Domaine Laurent, it’s from his own vineyard! pileon

Oops. Dominique Laurent!
The wine was fine, even though the cork showed seepage almost to the top. Still very young, as one would expect.