Red Burgundy and Barolo, what else is there?

Honest, my intention is not that to start a flame-war, maybe just to provoke (in a good way) answers that will get me the best wine tips i’ll ever get.

In real life it’s always difficult to come by people like you that are so much into wine. Every time i speak to someone that thinks knows about wine all i get is recommendations about this or that “wine from my village” or “wine from my uncle” that invariably comes down to some fruity wine or what i call the “Montepulciano-style”.

So after my years at trying to expand my palate i’ve come to the conclusion that the only wines that will never bore me are Barolo (and Barbaresco) and Red Burgundy: the only wines that i’ve had that really can naturally develop that mix of flavours, hints and multi-layered complexity that can always surprise you.

So my question is, what else is there, what else could you recommend at that level that change and develop with cellaring?

Thanks

Nuthin!

THE Wine from France that IMHO most resembles that of Barolo (in certain vintages, from certain prosucers) is
Cote-Rotie ! Sometimes there is also a certain similarity to Burgundy (not aromatically, but the texture …)

Chateauneuf-du-Pape made from high % of Grenache can also resemble fine Burgundy when mature … more than one time a great vintage of Ch.Rayas has been mistaken for a GC Burgundy in my tastings …

Gerhard

Alsace wines give me similar thrills, FWIW. (And, Barbaresco, for me, is closer to Burgundy than Barolo usually is.)

removed.

I find that German and Austrian Riesling provide a nice change of pace for my palate, and deliver complexity in the way you are asking. The value is terrific as well, though moreso from Germany.

Riesling, white Loires, old style Rioja, syrah (especially from the N. Rhone but a few others as well) from producers who don’t chase after ripeness.

There are lots of other wines I love, but if I understand what you’re looking for those are places I’ve found it. As others have said there are (a very few) pinot noir based wines from other areas that will also fit the bill.

Depending on whether you like an oxidative style of winemaking sherry and madeira can display a stunning level of complexity.

God, narrowmindednes hits Wine Berserkers again…

Yes, there are wonderful wines in Burgundy and Barolo.

But, yes, this is your personal taste and looks pretty restrictive to me…

Alex R.

For Reds, I would add Cote Rotie and Hermitage…but I could live on just Burgundy and Barolo too.

Just to offer a contrasting opinion: I feel that out of hundreds of producers I could probably count on two hands the ones that make wine in a style that a burgundy lover could really enjoy.

To answer the OP: If you can find some reds from Jura (france) don’t hesitate. Also don’t forget Beaujolais (though its technically still burgundy). I had this same quest as you about two years ago and basically came to the conclusion that I need to turn to whites to get the same thrills. Very few reds have that “burgundy” thing going on.

Those are my two favorites also. But I also adore White Burgundy (especially Chablis), Austrian whites (Riesling and Gruner), Champagne, German whites, and Alsatian whites.

In the red category, pick up a bottle of the pretty widely available 1991 Lopez de Heredia Bosconia Gran Reserva. If you love Burgundy, I can’t imagine you not loving that wine. I had a bottle over the weekend and, while young, it was absolutely delicious and very, very elegant and textured in a Burgundian way (albeit with a different flavor profile).

nothing is exactly like anything else. If you have an open mind, you can find pleasures in other places. This may increase your love for you current favorites while giving you the ability to expand your horizons.

What should you try next?

Try Jura and Alsace. Have you tried many older (to your definition) wines? If not, this may add so much to your drinking experiences.

Best of luck!

I don’t drink a lot of it but I’ve had some amazing Cote-Rotie. It’s a great treat for me.

Arthur, I hear what you are saying - those are certainly categories that are high on my list, and ones in which you could immerse yourself for years. But, don’t underestimate the value of variety - for instance, in the last few years I’ve learned how much beauty there is to be found in Rieslings and ports.

More to your point - I just posted on my blog this week about xinomavro as the ‘barolo of Greece’ - it’s a variety worth checking out. Ditto for so many areas and grapes in Italy - aglianico. nero d’avola and literally dozens more. I’d second Ryan about Lopez de Heredia (and I have a blog post about that same 91 Tondonia GR as well, about 2 mos ago if you scroll down the main page), and aged brunello and Cote Rotie seem like other likely candidates for you. Don’t forget white wines! Riesling, white burgs, top CA chards offer great mineral complexity that is equal to but distinctly different from the complexity that great reds offer.

Cote Rotie, Austrian Gruner, and obscure Italian varietals.

A few Pinot and Nebbiolo.
E

Chinon.

pat pat Don’t let your Bordelais feelings get hurt [berserker.gif]

Sagrantino di Montalfalco, but I swear if you tell anyone about what I believe are the best wines in Italy, I will hunt you down. I would also like to not tell you about Taurasi, Barbaresco and other aglianico based wines…

Oh yeah and Lagrein…I’ve said too much already…move on…

I’m with Alex R on this one. What’s the point of this post? First you say that you’ve already “come to the conclusion that the only wines that will never bore me are Barolo (and Barbaresco) and Red Burgundy” then you ask “what else is there, what else could you recommend at that level that change and develop with cellaring”.

Surely you are already aware that many wines from all over the world “change and develop with cellaring”? Or perhaps you’ve never tried Chateau Margaux or Chateau Montelena or an Auslese from J.J. Prum or a Grange or a Zind-Humbrect Pinot Gris or Chateaux Beaucastel or any number of Cote Roties? [shrug.gif]

Now it might be that you haven’t tried great examples of Aglianico or Sagrantino, but Cabernet? Riesling? Syrah?