Recommendations on Cookware Set needed

+1. We bought a 13 piece version of the Calphalon Contemporary that Brad linked above. With a discount coupon and in store instant rebate we got all 13 pieces for…wait for it…$300.00 plus sales tax. Right on budget for the OP. Contrary to widely regurgitated belief to only by open stock every single piece of this set has been used in less than two weeks since purchase. Buy open stock after the basics are in place is my recommendation.

I bought this and love it. Also added a cast iron.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1483684/Sur+La+Table+Dishwasher+Safe+Hard+Anodized+Nonstick+10+Piece+Set+

I don’t do a ton of serious cooking, mainly sautees, sears, some sauces, but it works just fine for me. They make a non-non-stick version of this set as well.

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1037019/Sur+La+Table+Tri-Ply+Stainless+Steel+9+Piece+Set

I would echo the idea of looking at what you enjoy cooking / for how many, etc… and fill with cookware pieces that are versatile.
It’s been my experience that long-lasting is synonymous with high quality which often can have a bit of a steeper price tag. Stainless cookware ($$-$$$) with or without a copper-core ($$$$) has served me well (and with little prep). Hard anodized aluminum ($-$$$) not so much. Cast Iron is heavy / solid but has needed seasoning to maintain and has taken a while to get there; Mineral B iron expensive, requires seasoning but I think has the stuffing to last a very long time ($$$) . Restaurant grade aluminum ($-$$$) cookware (like Vorrath Wear-Ever line) can be less expensive with the intent of abuse leading to early (and inexpensive) replacement. Copper Clad ($$$$-$$$$$) has many benefits but cost ain’t one of em.
I haven’t had much success with non-stick lines of cookware - I’m of the opinion that well-seasoned and cared for (use caution with the tools / implements you use in / on the surface) cookware (regardless of metal) is better than a coated surface. I’ve tried to steer away from brands (aside from Vorrath) since I think that those are personal preferences and that you can find success with the various manufacturers.

Cheers -

Get a non-stick pan for eggs - sure you can do them on other surfaces, but it’s so much easier on non-stick, and a cheap pan is all you need. Then you can also use it for your low to medium heat sautees. This combined with a Lodge cast iron skillet will cover you everything in this category from eggs to high-heat sear.

A coated cast-iron dutch oven or large round pot, as others have said. Le Creuset is awesome. Can do your braises, brown your meat, boil water for blanching green things, even make soup.

The above three things will set you up for nearly all basic preps in the kitchen. Add to this specialty items based on what you cook a lot of - larger sautee pan, stock pot, small saucepan etc. You should be easily under budget with good quality if you don’t waste money on things you could do in something else, even if it isn’t the Cool Tool for the Job.

Don’t bother with a wok unless you have a stove that can generate some serious BTUs. On most stoves, you won’t get anything like the results and benefits of wok cooking, just pretty much the same as a large sautee pan.

Check eBay for irregular or cosmetically damaged All Clad and Le Creuset. I have had great success with that.

My two cents.

This is awesome. Thank you very much everyone.

Now I just need to slow down my wine purchases and spend some $$ on these.