Recommendations for Mourvedre Tasting?

+1 on the Tablas Creek rec, either their straight up Mourvedre or their Esprit de Tablas blend. Another Paso producer to check out for a Mourvedre single varietal bottling is Adelaida.

GregT, you mentioned Petrichor, checking my inventory and their website, they produce one red (Les Trois) and a rose, both are blends of syrah and Grenache. Do you have on inside line to something?

These are the 3 I’d add to your list too, Drew. Larry is doing a better and better job each and every year with his Mourvedre and both the 10 and 11 have impressed me greatly. I’ve enjoyed Brian Loring’s a great deal too. And I like the idea of including Cline—it was theirs that first got me hooked on the grape’s character in California.

I tasted the Dirty & Rowdy Evangelho in barrel—their first year with it—and it was excellent.

Best,

Mike

Brian,
Thanks for the support. We do our varietal Mourvedre under La Marea. The 12 sold quickly, I’m not sure I have much lying around. The 13 is slated for release this fall. I think Mourvedre out of the Adelaida area of Paso Robles, and much of the west side, is a real winner, I’ve seen several recommended here. I’ve also seen several reviews lauding Antle Vineyard as Hardy’s best Mourvedre. I haven’t delved that deeply into his wines, but that’s a vineyard that shouldn’t be left out of any Mourvedre tasting.
How about some of the classic Old Telegrams from Bonny Doon? There were some great vintages, for sure.
Ian

Isn’t Beaucastel more Grenache than Mourvedre? You could have a lot more Mourvedre if you used a Bandol like Tempier or Chateau Pradeaux.

Also, there are a lot of Spanish Mourvedres (the grape there is called Monestrelle)

Beaucastel’s regular red CdP is usually about 30% each Grenache and Mourvedre. Their “Hommage à Jacques Perrin” is mostly Mourvedre (and also crazy expensive).

Great thread, great wines.

Also, there are a lot of Spanish Mourvedres (the grape there is called Monestrelle)

Howard - it’s Monastrell. Damn son! Do you have to give it a French twist!

The grape came to France from Spain, probably along with Garnacha and Carinena when Aragon ruled part of what is now France. The Spanish brought what they knew, the climate was similar, and it did well. In the US people think of it as French, but that’s because very little was brought over from Spain until recently.

In Murcia, there are three DOs - Yecla, Jumilla, and Bullas that are the main regions in which you find the grape. It used to be very rustic and kind of crappy, but producers have been improving and there are now some very good ones.

Roger - as far as Petrichor goes, I had it quite a while ago when they were just starting so maybe they’re not doing it? And maybe I’m entirely wrong but I did write in my notes that it was Mourvedre.

Or heck, get yourself a bottle of Ridge’s Mataro - the name of the grape that is still its official name in California!!! (have not tried their current release).

Great thread indeed and lots of wonderful versions out there. I totally dig the variety, and now make more Mourvedre than any other red. It truly does show quite different characteristics based on vineyard site, and it’'s fun to keep em separate.

I can vouch for the Donkey and Goat - nice wine that I picked up myself when I visited a few months back. Hardy continues to do interesting things with the variety - very different takes on the variety which, to me, kind of remind me of Angela Osborne’s take on Grenache with her Tribute to Grace.

Luckily, there’s plenty of room in this still tiny category for many styles . . .

Cheers!

From Yecla; Castano or Barahonda

From Jumilla; Casa Castillo, Juan Gill or Honoro Vera.

All should be easy to find.