Recommend some slightly "riper" Côtes du Rhône...

These days, 14.5% is modest in the Southern Rhone. And, for a year or so, French wines over 14% weren’t subject to the 25% tariff, so perhaps it was fudged up.

FYI, the Charvin is labeled at 14%, but it’s on the fresh, higher acid, redder fruit end of the scale.

Excellent! Found a local retailer that I can swing by and pick up with these for $12.99 (the 2018).

Please report back, Brandon!

K&L has brought some Alain Corcia negociant CdR in the past - they are grenache driven and more on the fruity side than earthy/rustic side. They are less costly than some of the other (excellent) suggestions upthread.

If you can deal with Garagiste, they sound local to you, and they often have periodic examples that would fit your requirements of grenache/fruit perhaps tank/stainless elevage.

My general take on CdR names mentioned

Coudelet - I buy in this bigger years, lasts a long time, a touch furry like its big brother too
Charvin - most likely my single favorite, grenache/no oak, yet can last.
Chave - I find these too glossy and every time I venture back, baited by the name, I’m left underwhelmed.
Guigal - their rouge is good, has lots of syrah, but I’m reluctant to use space at home for a 20 trillion case production wine, when its available everywhere, and is a safe BTG pick. (I do buy the lesser imported blanc each year)
St Cosme regular - good, some syrah
St Cosme ‘deux albion’ - even better, can keep. garagiste carries both usually
Autard - generally underwhelm me
Janasse - everything they make underwhelms me not sure why

Sometimes one can find Cairanne, Vacqueryas, Gigonadas at CdR prices, which is usually a good deal if they wines aren’t cooked, and you want something that likely got some wood.

2016 Cotes du Rhones might still be available at retail, and is a strong vintage.

Good stuff, Arv, thanks.

Will do. Picking them up today.

Ftw

I try to keep my cdrs in the teens for pricing. Anything more than that and I might as well buy CNDP.

Popped one of the Dauphins last night and quite liked it, but it wasn’t very similar to the wine in the O.P. I’d love to do a side-by-side with that wine and this, and some others, but that takes me back to my sourcing problem. I liked this a lot, though, and it’s a buy for the $13 I paid. Good recommendation!

• 2018 Cellier des Dauphins Côtes du Rhône Reserve Grenache-Syrah - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (3/31/2021)
    This is a nice Côtes du Rhône that is drinking well now. While I didn’t take formal notes at the time, I recall the balance and suaveness of the wine. A nose and palate showing cherry cordial, sage, red fruit and a bit of spice underneath. This showed its Grenache character well and wasn’t as dark as some CdR which, when I’m looking for an inexpensive drinker, I often like. (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Just bought three 2016 Coudoulet for $25/each. I know that’s a bit out of the normal CdR price range and less ripe than you are looking for, but it’s a really good f#cker!

I find most vintages of Lafond CdR “Roc-Epine” or even Lirac fit your description/request:

Also the “basic” bottling, “Terrasses” from Chateau Pesquié (Ventoux):

I happen to believe that Chateau Pesquie Terrasses wine is one of the great wine values out there, vintage after vintage. Imported by Eric Solomon’s European Cellars.

I tend to stay away from CdRs with Syrah from the cooler climate further north.

I opened a bottle of this last night. Pretty average for my palate and I wouldn’t buy again. The Autard I mentioned above is much better, IMO.

Thanks, Jay. I was hoping to find Autard in my area and it’s unfortunately not. I’ll keep looking.

IIRC, the Saint Cosme is predominantly Syrah, so, while good, is also very atypical of most CdR, and more similar to a N. Rhone wine. That may have changed over the years, as the last vintage I remember was probably 10-14 years back.

Les Rouliers from Henri Bonneau.
Not that easy to find, nor inexpensive, but may be of interest.