Recommend me a hot sauce

The type of sauce you use really should depend on the application. I always scoffed at Frank’s until a friend forced me to use it on wings and it really does make a difference IMHO.

When I worked at Marty’s the gourmet department had something like 100 different hot sauces and I’ve tried through a number of the super hot ones as well as all the Dave’s Insanity/Melinda’s lines. There is certainly enough of a selection in my area that I no longer feel the need to go much out of my way for the esoteric ones and I stick to the basics.

I just finished up a bottle of Tapatio at work and replaced it with a bottle of Original Louisiana. Most of these are pretty cheap. I can get a 10oz bottle of Tapatio for about $3.

Another interesting recent find, Valentina from Guadalajara, only $1.39 for a 12.5oz bottle.

+1

I’ve just never been into the sauces with overtly vinegary flavors.
So shoot me.

Pico Pica is a good hot sauce that I didn’t see on the thread yet . . .
alan

That’s my favorite with chorizo con huevos.

Bitch.

flirtysmile sort of

[grin.gif]

I gave them a mention on Monday when I was home on holiday. [thumbs-up.gif] Nice tomato based hot sauce with a green version in addition to the red. Great on Quesadillas.

I love this one.

a little outside of the traditional, but I like Melinda’s Amarillo (it has mustard) particularly with Cuban food. it has the advantage of not overpowering wine, but is not just red hot sauce for sure.

That sounds interesting.

Linda, there isn’t a Melinda’s flavor I dislike. The Amarillo is good if you like that yellow mustard style. Melinda’s uses a vegetable base for their sauce instead of simply salt, peppers, and vinegar.

What about the best selling hot sauce in Minnesota…

It is quite expensive ($25), but Tabasco Reserve is a really nice sauce. No less vinegary than the regular, but it just tastes so much more assertive and tasty. Is it 7x better than the regular? Probably not, but when you consider how many applications you get from a bottle, it is really not that expensive.

I like the Reserve a LOT better than the regular Tabasco.

The one that we always reach for is Sriracha irrespective of how many other artisanal sauces we have in the house.

Here is a thought. Add a few drops of the hottest sauce you can find or add some cayenne or habanero powder to Franks until it comes up to snuff for your preferred heat level. I doubt either method would change its taste.

tabasco on things like home fries, black bean soup
tapatio or cholupa on most mexican/tex mex fare
sriracha on most asian fare,eggs, mac and cheese…
For some dishes, i.e thai curries I like sambal (red chile paste)
I have some portueguese piri piri sauce that I like on some chicken
mae ploy for dipping egg rolls and some vegetable dishes
franks for only wings

I like Pico Pica

I also like a little sprinkle of Smoked Red Savina from time to time

Otherwise I’m okay with tabasco or tapatio or cholupa

I don’t care for sriracha though