Recent New Orleans Eats

Check out Jacque-Imo’s menu.

Thanks, looks tasty!

But no reservations on a Saturday night sounds like a long wait.

The restaurant is quite large. We’ve never had to wait crazy long, and we’ve always been there around jazz fest (lots of people).

We’re big fans of Commander’s, however we’re usually Sunday brunch folks which worked well on our last trip. Brunch at Commander’s then drinks and snacks at St Germain. Sunday brunch at Christmas is a long standing tradition in the family.
Dinner is a much more formal affair and if you’re looking for wine, the list is more expansive than Brigtsen’s. The food is different, much more “country” than Commander’s and the atmosphere is beautiful at Commander’s. I used to BYOB at Brigtsen’s back in the day, but don’t know their current policy. Of course August has always been corkage friendly since inception and i have loved the food, just been a while since we were there.
We had a bit of an issue at Herbsaint that I thought was very odd at our last meal. Food was great and the service from front of house was great. My wife didn’t come with us and wanted a couple of small items to go. First up was a to go order of Gumbo. Kitchen refused, waitress felt bad and boxed up some bread, saying she snuck it out. The next table over, no problem. Asked for one of the easy to box up desserts (pie no ice cream or something like that) again the kitchen refused. Again other tables ordered dessert and got a to go box for the remains, I just didn’t want to bring something we boxed at the table. $500 tab for dinner (repeat customers at that) I thought deserved a little more. Waitress was apologetic, but still meant stopping for some fries on the way home. Shake shak fried them to order for us to take to her.

Thanks- big fan of Commanders because of the good or the whole package?

Brigtstens is $25 corkage.

I used to go to August every trip, it seems like no one goes anymore.

Same her re August. We enjoyed eating there, the kids felt comfortable and the food was exceptional. It was always convenient because our hotel of choice was the Windsor.

Regarding Commander’s. I love the service, the food and the atmosphere. It just feels festive and fun. There has been a change at chef, which I believe has had enough time to settle in. If you are looking for that atmosphere you can’t beat Commander’s. I will say that we prefer Commander’s during the day, but that may just be us.
We see that “institutional memory” is just so slow to return. When we used to go to New Orleans every couple of weeks we always ate at Mr. B’s at least one meal. More than 200 meals and it was the same every time, same service, same food same atmosphere. The kids kind of grew up there, started when my son was probably 4 or 5 months old. We tried to recreate comfortable feeling a couple of months ago and it is just different.

1 Like

Hi Barry - My daughter went to Tulane so I visited many times before she graduated. Saba was our family favorite.

I found many of the “traditional” NOLA stalwarts very tough to eat healthy and struggled with the heavy, fried and/or sauce laden menus.

I haven’t been recently, but we liked Luke’s for fresh seafood.

1 Like

We thought the same about Saba. Why have middle eastern food in NO? Turns out it is one of the best we’ve had in several recent visits to NO, especially apps with pita and veggies dishes. Stellar stuff, well worth a visit.

Also had some of the best dishes and experiences at Atchafalaya (highly recommend this) and Herbsaint. In the next tier, both Cochon and Clancys were very good. Next trips we’ll probably go to Gris Gris and probably back to Saba.

Also love Parkway Bakery for Po Boys and the vibe. Great pleasure center hipster food at Turkey and the Wolf, but far from healthy that.

2 Likes

Any of the recommended places allow BYO?

Does Restaurant August still allow it (they used to be very BYO friendly)?

Answering my own question:

Commander Palace - $10 per person at the table per bottle, $40 max
Herbsaint- $35 per bottle, max 2, may waive one with purchase off the lsit
August - $50 per 750
Saba $25
Shaya - $20 - will waive the fee if it’s a special bottle
Miss River - $75 for first; $50 for next two, max 3 - if it dupes the list they will ask you to purchase off the list
Brightstens - $25 per bottle

My definite choices
Herbsaint
Saba
Zazu

Anyone want to help me choose between:
August and Miss River (dinner)
Brightstens and Commanders (dinner)

August used to be one of my favorites before the troubles, can’t find much about it since Besh left other than yelp. Fish is my focus.

Edit: corrected chef’s name

2 Likes

Barry the name you were looking for in connection with August was John Besh not Donald Link. August was the Besh flagship until he was disgraced, and Besh Restaurant Group renamed to BRG Hospitality. Link has Herbsaint, Cochon, Peche, and a few others and has had no scandals that I know of although some became angry with him for keeping his restaurants open during the Covid pandemic. I have not been to August to date though I likely will in the future.

Brigtsen’s menu is similar to Gabrielle - both chefs were Prudhomme disciples - there will likely be 1 fish entree and a couple of seafood apps on the menu. The wine list is small. It is a very personal place run by Frank B and his wife who are not getting any younger and I’ll miss them when the decide to call it a day. I have not been to Commanders since Meg Bickford took over the kitchen. The menu is much larger with probably 3 seafood entrees and multiple appetizers. It has one of the largest and broadest wine lists in NO.

The Miss River menu is online, multiple fish choices including a salt crusted fish for two. When we were there a year ago the wine list was not that broad so I’m disappointed that the corkage is so high, but it is the Four Seasons right?

1 Like

Thanks for the correction!!

This thread seems to be dead, dead. We had to cancel our fall 2022 trip, so i’m as guilty as anyone I suppose. I’m guessing most of you are off to the more exotic destinations we have all been missing. We had been planning a spring trip to France, but got a bit scared off by the strikes, and so on and have instead booked a trip to Mexico. But in the meanwhile we had arranged this quick trip to NO including a day or so at the French Quarter Fest. So just a few adventures below, mostly re-visits.

Mosquito Supper Club - This one’s a little bit of a PITA as you have to prepay 2-3 months in advance. They serve 2 tables of 10 Thursday thru Sunday. $125 for 5 courses, family style - very generous portions. 25% service charge added. Cocktails, wine, beer extra. They didn’t offer any pairings - tons of past complaints about the value of this on line. Interesting cocktails. Wine list was small, but good. After aperitifs, a nice bottle of Assyrtiko worked very well with most everything. Ms Martin did not seem to be present, but food was very fresh and good. Standouts included the crawfish bisque, stuffed crab main was excellent. Some folks we sat with said they had been 1 year ago during Jazz Fest and the menu was essentially the same. They were a little disappointed. I’d certainly go back again during the fall to get the seasonal differences.

Saba - this was near our rental, so we had a late meal after a full day at French Quarter Fest. The usual good Salatin - lutenitsa, tzatziki. Hummus was great. The pita was a little heavier than I remembered, and the pita served with the hummus was slightly under baked. Maybe a little sloppiness from the late hour. Harissa roasted chicken and chicken schnitzel were both good. Now I’m curious to try Shaya on my next visit to compare (esp the pita) - it still seems to be very popular.

Gabrielle - Our friends had been to Brigtsens recently so we opted for Gabrielle this visit. With four of us we had a nice cross section of food. Duck and sausage gumbo from my previous visit was my favorite ever, quail and rabbit gumbo this time was on the edge of bitterness. My friends crawfish bisque was not as dark, but very, very dark for crawfish in our opinion. Good, but after the excellent bisque at Mosquito SC a couple nights earlier, it did not compare. BBQ shrimp pie excellent as always. Oyster gratin was very, very good as well. Duck fat fries were nothing special - needed a 2nd fry. Four entrees were all very good including the Seafood Cassoulet. For me cassoulet requires toulouse sausage and a duck leg, but my wife loved it.

Lengua Madre - follow up to our initial visit, fall 2021, this spring menu was completely different, and even better. Instead of the fall baked squash and sweet potato dishes, we were treated to super fresh local seafood ala Mosquito SC, but with Ana Castro’s unique homey, mexican twists. Shrimp broth, Hamachi and Beet Aguachile, Crab Sope, Snap Pea Mole Verde Taco, a killer Octopus entree, and a unique Carrot and Pecan tamale for dessert. Excellent. I think the pricing is very reasonable - 5 courses $80, wine pairings $40. There is a 5% surcharge for back of the house in case that sort of thing ticks you off.

Lilette - late supper after catching the Stanton Moore Trio at the nearby Columns Hotel, this was solid as ever. Wine list is good but a little $$

French Quarter Fest Lunch Booths:

Ms Linda the Yakamein Lady - Beef Yakamein, Crawfish Mac & Cheese. Linda Green is kinda famous. Bourdain featured her on No Reservations quite a ways back. Mac was super rich, good but I didnt need it. Yakamein was spicy, good. Seemed like it had a touch of that lipton onion soup tang, msg maybe? Anyway, good comfort food.

Southerns - Fried Chicken Sandwich. While waiting for my Yakamein, I looked over at the booth next door and they were serving up what looked like a great, freshly fried chicken sandwich, so we looped back. A young(er - bear in mind I’m 66 next month) lady lady in front of me in line filled me in. Best local chicken sandwich with excellent slaw and a couple pickles - it was all that. They have an extremely popular food truck.

Walker’s Southern Style BBQ - Cochon De Lait Poboy. Wow, this killed, best thing I ate at FQF. They have a restaurant in NO East.

Rib Room (Omni Hotel) - Chicken and Andouille Jambalaya. Solid, if unexceptional.

2 Likes

We’re heading to NO next week for jazzfest. We’re going to Lengua Madre on Friday for my birthday. It was my favorite meal last year. We also have lunch reservations on Thurs at Commander’s. We’ve never been and have been to NO so many times. Also reservations at Cafe Degas one night. We’ve never been there either. I forgot where else my husband made reservations. Can’t wait!

Adding- Looks like we also have a reservation at Sylvain.

Haven’t been to Degas or Sylvain. Sylvain was discussed up thread but that was years ago now.
So let us know!
I think the festival vendors I mentioned should all be at Jazz Fest, of course none of that stuff is remotely veg.
I do recommend the Cochon de Lait for your husband!
Enjoy, overall the weather was great while we were there, even though it rained like hell Saturday afternoon and overnight. Sunny, 80 degrees, and a breeze is pretty ideal.

1 Like

I love seeing this thread back in gear. I am headed to New Orleans on May 5. Going to Cochon and La Petite Grocery - and Liuzza’s by the Track for the BBQ shrimp poboy. Walker’s sounds awesome, too.

2 Likes

We usually stop at Liuzza’s for a bloody before heading into jazz fest.

We also have a reservation at Arnaud’s in the jazz bistro. Another classic NO restaurant we have yet to dine at.

1 Like

Was in NO a couple of weeks ago. First night, hit GW Fins and the Seared Blue Fin Tuna is a great dish if you’re ok with a veal reduction sauce. Enjoyed Luke for its raw bar and shrimp & grits. Also, enjoyed Gianna (fabulous veal saltimbocca dish) which is part of the same group which owns Herbsaint. Great espresso town.

1 Like

Paywall. Sorry.

1 Like