Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre vertical tasting

Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre vertical tasting

Feb 2015
Restaurant Estelle Bistro - Melbourne
Excellent food and superb service.

Chick pea Panisse
1996 Duval-Leroy Femme de Champagne

Amazingly fresh and vibrant. Intense and appealing. Great.
Tasting it blindly almost all pegged it as a 2002 or 2004.

All wines tasted blind- initially on their own and later with food. Group marking done before revealing the wines.

Octopus, tarama, squid ink
1999 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre
1990 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre
1992 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre
1997 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre

Group rating: 1997 - 1999 - 1990 - 1992
The older wines 1990 and 1992 looked more developed but clearly not premoxed. I loved the nose on the 1990 and 1992 – full of character- more than their body. They still having lots of exciting nuances to make them appealing at this age. The younger wines did steal the show.

Pork jowl & loin, cider & mustard
2006 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre
2010 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre
2007 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre
2005 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre
2004 Raveneau Montee de Tonnerre

Group rating: 2004-2010-2005-2007-2006
A much better bracket. 2004 was by consensus the wine of the tasting (WOTN). All wines had the Raveneau signature tone. Differences was the subtle variation in vintage character. 2006 looked a bit flabby especially when compared with the 2004 or 2010. 2005 and 2007 were evenly matched.

It was an excellent tasting. No premox. Good to excellent set of wines. All true to the producer house style. All paired well with food.

Then we ended the night with few red Burgundies and a port

Venison, pear & sauce grand veneur
1996 Fourier Griotte-Chambertin Vieilles Vignes
2009 Marchand Frères Griotte-Chambertin
2001 Bruno Clavelier Corton Le Rognet
2010 Jadot Griotte-Chambertin

Isle of Mull cheddar, fig & beetroot chutney
1939 Seppelt’s Para Port

Wow. That’s a pretty impressive tasting.

nice. How was the 96 Fourrier?

Alan,
Fourrier was very nice. Drinking well now. My pick of the red Burgundies.

I did not take notes and unfortunately do not have Jeremy Holmes genes to transcribe all the nuances the following day artfully enough.

a dream.

thanks for the notes on this chilly friday evening.

Nice wines and lineup Sanjay. Always interesting to see notes on older Raveneau’s.

They sure do hold up.

Estelle is just so good…

Had an '02 Raveneau MDT last night, so young and fresh, wonderfully good, and an '02 Valmur a few weeks ago was stunning!

Hi Paul,

Based on this tasting (and from last year) I am going hold my 2002 and 2004 a bit longer. Well stored bottles have the potential to age another 5 years easy.

Thanks for the great write up on a cool evening. How was the port? I’ve got a lone bottle of it and would love you thoughts

Cheers

Yeah, agree.

Have a case of '99 Clos also, and I think that wine needs another 10 years!

Balla with a capital “A”. :slight_smile: I’m happy getting onesie-twosies when I can!
I’ve got one more 2002 Montee du Tonnerre in the cellar and will probably open it in the coming year. One tasted a year ago was fantabulous.

Raveneau was like Rousseau here back then…cheap and in really plentiful supply. Easy to buy Clos in quantity, not like the impossibility it is now.

Think these were sub $50 on release back then?

Montees were plentiful and $50-55 back then. Australia was spoilt when it came to Raveneau or Rousseau.

Thanks to Kermit Lynch, in the US, “back then”, I’ve never owned a bottle of Raveneau…I think. (Maybe a couple). And, when I did find them, they were anything but “cheap”.

I started with Raveneau with the 2000 vintage. Mont Mains was USD 60 and the Clos was 120.00. I don’t recall what MdT was. Raveneau was not cheap but dare I say fairly priced.

If you buy from retailers who don’t rape you Raveneau is still reasonably priced. In fact one of the best values in burgundy. Thanks to Kermit Lunch of course.

I started in late 80s. They were giving it away. Even by 86 premier crus were $36 and grand crus only a bit more.

Raveneau is still not all that expensive from the cellar door. Still the most expensive Chablis producer though, and I’m not so sure it’s the best.

Thanks for the impressions Sanjay.

IMLHO MdT is perhaps the only 1er Cru in Burgundy that could be elevated to Grand Cru without any argument.

Best Regards
Jeremy

My impression, when I bothered to look for at it in the '90s was that it was essentially unavailable in the east…and the only place to buy it was via the Lynch retail store. With the prices and shipping…I felt, well…motivated to decline to buy the stuff.

IMO, Lynch ruined lots of brands by hoarding them for his retail store and starving the rest of the US of their products. Then, when these poor producers would attempt to sell themselves to areas that Lynch didn’t “serve”, ie, he ignored…he would threaten to drop them from his aura…and the producers would have to capitulate. I learned this first hand with some '90 Burgs that the local retailers couldn’t deliver on after Lynch stepped in an coerced the poor producer in Burgundy into dishonoring the orders he sold.

And, as someone pointed out…the prices out of the cellars at many Lynch domaines were in line with everyone else there; it was only once it got into the KL distribution in the US that they became…well… [snort.gif] [snort.gif]

Isn’t Coche one of his, too?

I’m not going to rerun this. I’m very happy with my KL prices.