Range Recommendation

And here’s on “ultra low”
5B38DE85-54B6-4624-A3C7-DBF4070ACC69.jpeg

You have a much better Dacor than I have… THe lowest settings on my still burn the bottom of anything I try to simmer too long.

Grats on the Blue Star.

As for simmering, there is a trick … you can get the fire to go lower between off and high. The lowest setting isn’t all the way clockwise (low), it’s far enough to the counter clockwise direction that the flame doesn’t go out :slight_smile:

I had a 6 burner dacor and blue star oven in my old place. loved both except the blue star smelled of gas when starting up.

in our new house I’ll be soon in the market for new appliances and plan to buy something down market. anyone have recommendations for a range you can purchase at a store like best buy? in other words, of the common consumer brands, is one better than the others?

Anything but GE Monogram, ours is awful in terms of reliability

6 burner Wolf Dual Fuel here, have had it for the last 6 months and am very happy with the performance.

Thinking about upgrading to a Bluestar range but I worry about the gas oven. How much worse is a gas oven than electric? Worse enough that I should upgrade even further to the dual-fuel Capital unit Kenny has?

Thanks!!!

The gas oven in or Bluestar range works well.

Love my new open burner bluestar. The gas oven has been fine, better than expected, overall. Still prefer electric oven and the bluestAr broiler is taking some getting used to… very powerful and effective, but smaller than my previous in terms of surface area coverage.

At least with BlueStar there were no dual fuel options and none of the dual fuel options I saw with Wolf etc were open burners, so for me that took precedence. The power and control of the burners is much more valuable to me.

I also love my Blue Star burners. Intense, even heat. Great sears and water boils in a flash. Simmer burner is great. A complete revelation compared with my prior electric range.

thanks for the feedback. For what specific uses of your Bluestar oven do you find an electric to be preferable?

I’m not a pro baker so “fine, better than expected” may be good enough for me, too, but I just don’t know very well the practical impact of the shortcomings of gas.

Yeah generally it is the temp precision, uniformity, and low humidity for baking that is the reason. Other cooking methods don’t require that level of control.

But, the electric option also opens up some other possibilities. For example, I can rotisserie a 17lb turkey in my oven using the electric broiler. It is pretty sweet. Another thing I can do is have the oven at 550F, toggle it off, then set the broiler to high and it will scorch my pizza steel in no time because it is infrared and radiant. Makes pizzas kinda fun.

I dunno. If you are already laying down that kind of scratch for something permanent, might as well go all in.

it depends on what type of baking you’re doing. The Blue Star gas is great for almost everything except muffins and cookies where you’d want really even heat. I use my pizza oven if I want consistent heat.

and I agree about the small broiler size. It’s very frustrating!

Now that’s a broiler!
IMG_6760.jpg

that looks pretty small too though. I want one as big as the oven!

The BlueStar broiler is great in terms of heat, (Be careful broiling from the top rack though :slight_smile: ) But like the pic above it isn’t even typical sheet pan size. If I have things on a sheet pan that I want to broil, I have to move the pan around to get full coverage- which leads to some inconsistency.

For general baking I feel the oven is fine overall, but gas has a percentage of water vapor in it and I feel the pre-heating is a bit more ambiguous. Plus BlueStar is a bit old school/pro style so some of the lack of electronic controls, timers, etc, has been a mind shift (very minor though)

It is actually the same width as a standard sheet pan, about 18" in length.

But I agree, size of the whole rack would be sweet.

Hmm. You might have a 36" (or more). I should clarify that I have a 30" range.

Oven 1 is 36” that you see. Oven 2 is 12”.

We’ve had a 48" Wolf-gas-6 burner + griddle for 10 years now. It’s had a few issues over the years (I think an igniter needed replaced, and something to do with the oven starter needed replaced). But nothing major. We use it every day. I like the double ovens, certainly good for Thanksgiving. I’ve seen a lot of commentary that the griddle is a waste, but we have a bbq about 10 steps away, and we use the griddle quite a bit…eggs, pancakes, etc. Sure we could easily use a griddle pan I guess, but we get a lot of use out of the built in griddle. The issues we have had have all been covered by Wolf. We had a problem with the original grates (poor idea with the rubber feet LOL) and they shipped us new ones with iron feet at no charge.

I like the looks of the BlueStar, but I am in no need to replace the Wolf…