R.I.P. Alan Eden

Alan, without a doubt was the Wine Berserkers version of Don Rickles! RIP Alan, you’ll be missed!

Didn’t he always say we we’re trying to silence him? Guess he gets the last laugh.
Sorry to see him go, though. Now who will take his place?

RIP

[berserker.gif]

This is horrible. RIP Alan.

Great post.

I loved him. My take on Alan was that 0.0% of his posts were serious.

I never met him, but I picture some Robert Plant looking guy laughing maniacally as he he typed his posts. Even his avatar pic suited him!

This is really heartbreaking. I hope he got his final wish: to be buried face down with his ass bronzed so anybody who ever disagreed with him could kiss it.

Alan, you may not have been the ‘real Alan,’ but you were the real deal.

True love going out to Alan and those unfortunate enough to have been associated with him! [cheers.gif]

RIP Alan. I guess there is some irony that someone will end up flipping his wines and he’ll never see whether the 13 Napa Cabs come around

He’ll be sorely missed. A great, and irreplaceable, Berserker personality. RIP Alan, my condolences to his friends and family.

RIP Alan. Thanks for the many laughs and chuckles.

I never knew him. But from my active and lurking time on the forums his threads always helped lighten things up. He sure did know how to push the right buttons with people. Sad to see him gone and condolences to his family.

And in the end, he appears to have had the last laugh - there really was no point to buying wines that needed a long time to come around. Seriously, I will miss his posts.

Jake,

So true! This was probably one of Alan’s best kept secrets. I believe that the first vintage he purchased was either the 13 or the 14 vintage. I know that he drank one of the bottles for his birthday last year. So at least he got to enjoy MacDonald once! He couldn’t stop raving about it.

Wow, that was unexpected. He will be missed

Eric,

I actually reached out to Alan about that thread and I can say with certainty that he got a laugh out of it. He definitely didn’t take any of the negative reactions seriously. It was all in good humor for him.

We can all smile!

RIP.

Check out from about 2:45 on, but watch til the end - I think he would get a kick out of it…

[media][https://youtu.be/wwQ5SmhwGgk/[media]

Wow. Condolences to Alan’s loved ones.

I found out today because my text messages to him had gone unanswered for over a week, which was uncharacteristic for him. A co-worker of his actually called me to tell me of his passing. I later spoke with Alan’s boss an one of his best friends. Alan wasn’t married or had children (that I know of). He is survived by his sister, brother and mother. There was a small service today, which if I had known about sooner, I would have flown up to be at.

Anyhow, I last spoke with Alan last Sunday and he went into the hospital later that day for treatment for an infection. He passed away later in the day on Monday. I do know that he was surrounded by friends when he passed.

As most you probably figured, Alan was truly passionate about his wine (whiskey and cigars too!) and he enjoyed WB for the vibrant community and knowledge. If he was ever confrontational, it was because he enjoyed being provocative and pushing peoples buttons with frequency.

It was always a constant when I logged into WB that most threads would have his dragon avatar on a post. It was always good to know that Alan was around.

Alan was a very good friend. We both introduced each other to a number of different wines. Alan helped my discover the wonders of Booker / Saxum and Alban. I in turn introduced him to MacDonald and Christopher Tynan. We also both greatly enjoyed Mike Smith’s wines. Alan also worked hard to build intimate relationships with winemakers and wineries. He worked hard to increase his allocations, and when they got too big for him to buy all of it, he would generously share some with me (never his MacDonald though! lol).

Anyhow, that’s all that I know. If anyone want’s to PM me directly you are more than welcome to.

Will miss you Alan. Hopefully there’s some 2007 Saxum waiting for you up there! [cheers.gif]

Very sad news. Rest in Peace, Alan. Condolences to his family and friends. I will certainly miss his presence on this board.

Ed

This is sad. Thanks Alex for letting us know.

Thank you for the post, Alex. Well said.