Questions for Bern's steakhouse

We drank 4 bottles from the 60s-70s and a bottle of 97 grand cru burgundy for less than $500 total last month. I think that’s pretty good. Every bottle was showing perfectly. Name another restaurant in the world that you can do that?

When your business model is based on irreplaceable inventory…

As someone (maybe Yogi Berra) once said about a restaurant: “No one goes there anymore. It’s way too crowded.”

First went to Bern’s in 2014. 2000 La Tâche was $800 on the list at the time. Was way out of my price range but stood out as a stupid good deal for those who played in those leagues. Needless to say, the pricing has long since flown the coop.
[swoon.gif]

I drank the 2000 La Tâche not more than six years ago or so for $600…sigh. There is a lot still there that is not on the published list, especially old negociant Burgundies you would never think could be as good as they are. I used to know the head sommelier Eric, who produced some amazing bottles that were not that expensive, and had a similar report from a friend recently. I do think it’s a place where now you need some kind of “in” to come away satisfied.

If you’re expecting to drink 2000 la tache for less than $1k, then I agree you’re not going to be happy.

Perhaps we can try claiming that we are friends of Michael Chang?

I have an acquaintance who said his strategy at Bern’s was to order a bunch of 1980’s Rhones and German Rieslings. Some were duds, some were amazing. At only about $30 a pop, you could afford to spin the wheel. Looks like you can still do this…

LOL. Yup, about 10+ years ago iirc.

I still want to go again at some point, but the days of “raiding parties” of ~10 of us descending upon Tampa for a weekend are long ago memories for me. I guess I’m old enough to say “those were the days”. I still recommend the place to family and friends that are in the area and they still manage to get a birth year wine or close year for little money and its a great experience for them. We were (and are to an extent) lucky that place exists. Some great memories and empty bottles sitting around my house from days gone by there.

[snort.gif] It sounds like you got to participate/precipitate the “downfall” there, Dave!! “Raiding parties” indeed… [soap.gif]

I beg to differ with all of you. Yes it is not what it once. However you also have to value provenance and the ability to send wine back (I am told that you can’t do this at Tour D’Argent even for TCA for some bottles - not sure if this is true as I have never sent a wine back over several visits).

I will point you to one example - 2006 DRC Montrachet for $3300. Current wine-searcher price $8000, currently on the list of a NY restaurant $9000.

It’s been a while for me 2010 to be exact but when I looked at the wine list now, it is smaller and more expensive. I would guess most of the best parts of their cellar were used up a while ago. Still, it’s fun to try. Another must in this regards is to go to Rekondo in San Sebastian in Spain. They still have one of the most amazing cellars and great food. Was there last April for the third time.

I agree. We sent back a glass of Chablis we ordered as a starter and asked for something else for the appetizers and they sent us two glasses of 1978 Sauternes for the foie courses. Their wine service is top notch.

Need to head over to Tampa soon

DOn’t really understand the high price criticism.
You go to Bern’s to drink older vintages. There are plenty of 1920s Bordeaux on the list for less than 600$. The provenance and cellaring is impeccable and some of those bottles are fantastic. Also great selection of older Rhones and Burgundy. Just give the somm a budget and let him do his thing.