Question for Burgundy nerds

I’d generally agree with the sentiment here, and add that often the price differences within the same parcels are usually justified. Dujac and Roumier are significantly better than some of the run of the mill producers from the same appellations. Lots of potential reasons why including but limited to farming, winemaking, and elevage. William Kelley is indeed a wealth of knowledge on the subject and has explained many of these factors in posts on here, articles on eRobertParker, and on his Instagram.

My strategy for building a Burgundy cellar for the past 5 or so years has been:

1. Acquire a moderate amount of the better producers when I can do so at attractive prices (Mugnier, Dujac, Drouhin, Lambrays, Rousseau, Lafarge, Taupenot-Merme etc…). Current releases, but also not neglecting back vintages that are not top years. Avoiding 2005, but buying 2007, 2012, 2013, 2014. Generally I’d say these are >$150.

2. Buy larger quantities of emerging producers and/or great winemaking from less heralded terroir. Usually <$100, often more like $50. Often in these regions good terroir was written off because the prevailing wine making was quantity rather than quality focused. Places like Aloxe-Corton, Savigny-les-Beaune, Maranges, Santenay, even Irancy. Emerging producers are at the top of their game and making wines that may surprise in blind tastings from “better” terroir. Another advantage here is while I’d not want to open a single bottle of Rousseau I’d acquired for $400 from #1 above, if I buy a six pack of something for $50/bottle, I try one immediately, write note, and then have a better idea of whether I like the producer and want to buy more in the future. Producers I’d throw in this bucket include Simon Bize, Chandon de Briailles, Bachelet-Monnot, Michel Mallard, Boris Champy, Lucien Muzard, Richoux, Gachot-Monot

4 Likes

Welcome Wil, I would also like to second what Chris has posted, I have been collecting Burgundy for only a handful of years and have basically followed what Chris posted. The producers that he mentions are all spot on and it’s going to be up to you to find them, try them and decide what suits your palate. It’s a great and sometimes very frustrating journey but there is a very good reason people seek out Burgundy. Oh and if you can attend La Paulee it is a great way to try different producers. Good luck!!

1 Like