Question about Zachys

Other than it’s a pretty shop, I could never figure out why people go there to buy wine and spirits. They’re always the highest price locally and online. If you’re going to pay high prices, at least shop at Grapes the Wine Company in N White Plains. Great selection, and every so often he sends an e mail with a (real) deal. [wink.gif]

The Zachy’s ‘sale’ insults my intelligence.

You can’t assume the sale prices are good but sometimes they are fantastic. For example they had amazing prices on the Equipo Navazos Sherries during their Cyber Monday sale and last summer’s Burgundy sale also had great deals.

The simple reason I initially purchased from Zachys is they had a magnum of 2014 Arnaud Ente La Seve du Clos and I was not allocated one from Kermit Lynch. Extremely hard wine to find. It wasn’t about price, more so availability. Thank you for the feedback, I truly know now not to purchase from them when the weather in Arizona is warmer as they have a fixation for shipping ground when overnight is requested.

prices are indeed high to very high but the sales can also be hefty. the burgundy sale from last summer was outstanding…should have bought more.

Piling on - they’re not bad people but the warehouse is a complete cluster and getting stuff fixed can take forever. I’m mostly an auction customer but it’s all held the same place.

I’m mostly an auction customer these days, and I pick up. Generally they’ve been good and responsive at having my orders ready for pickup at retail store. Only problems with auction have been wrong vintage of a Rauzan Segla - they quickly found a replacement- and one broken bottle of '76 Riesling (as I didn’t have insurance, I was SOL, least it was an unknown producer - part of a mixed lot).
The only problems I remember with retail orders were both in my favor- one time an extra bottle, another a 750 instead of a 375- both times they said not to worry about it and keep.

As to pricing, it’s high enough that a 20% sale is not necessarily enticing. But as Jay and M. Ristev mention, occasionally (very occasionally) they have amazing prices. If I had to name my top 10 best deals vs national pricing in last decade Zachys might have half of them. The mentioned Burgundy sale, a summer sale with Abbatucci top cuvees for $35, a few years ago LdD Gran Reservas for $50 for '70, '73, '76 and $99 for '64, mags of '04 G. Rosso Barolo for $25, etc. Worth staying on list, though I do shop much more regularly at GrapesTWS.

or when you place an order and there’s no confirmation it was purchased.

+zillion

Zero reason to buy from them when competitors like Sotheby’s, HDH, etc. have sterling customer service.

I’ve ordered from them several times and had shipped with no problems. Only in CT so not too far to go to get to me. Their prices are high, but some bargains can be found in their sales- you have to be choosy. They have good in-store tastings occasionally that I enjoy as well.

Back in the 1980s they were known for their reliable customer service and for availability of everything they advertised. Sad to hear that’s changed. Their prices were high back then too,

On many occasions I have been enticed by their Burgundy “sales”, only to find myself wasting too much time trying to maneuver around their clunky website, and finding “sale” prices on anything I would be interested in still higher than normal prices at any number of retailers. In my experience, any Burgundy even remotely sought after is marked up significantly. And the one time several years ago that I bought some prearrival Chevillon at a good price it appeared many months after it showed up all around the country, and it took several phone calls to verify its arrival and successfully arrange shipping…to the point that I was afraid I would never see the wine.

what a cluster f. Ordered 3 b of a wine off the website and two days later get an email that it’s not in stock and would I like another vintage. Damn, why can’t they have accurate inventory in the 21st century?

From Zachy’s, apologizing for the out of stock: We are currently undergoing a massive inventory check and the horror that was out of stock items was discovered. We failed miserably by not executing the inventory check prior to your order being placed.

We apologize deeply for this grave inconvenience to you Sir.

Best

Honestly I can’t tell if they are being serious or sarcastic. I’m leaning towards sarcastic which would make this response a poor one, but I could be convinced that it’s a serious response.

I can say the response I got regarding the burgs I bought but did not receive was somewhat more . . . business-like

I received a Hi-We’ve missed you from Zachy’s today (today is 01.09.2017). Enjoy free shipping on your next purchase. We’ve missed you-give us another shot. (expires 12.20.2016)

WTF?

they are so super with details…

There are some good deals on a few things in their current clearance sale. I couple I spotted:

Dom. Terrebrune - Bandol 2009 - $32.99 (A really nice wine that’s just beginning to drink well; I got some for $32 on sale at Astor, but also bought one for $40 at Flatiron, so this is a good price.)

Produttori del Barbaresco - Pora and Montefico Riservas 2011 - $35.50 and $41.50, respectively. Both are really good.
Mastroberardino Taurasi Radici Riserva 2006 - $30.

But, as usual with their sales, there are a lot of others that are supposedly 20% or 30% off that can still be had cheaper elsewhere.

Man, I paid $52 for these locally. Popped a Pora recently - brutal! All the air in the sky didn’t help that thing open.

For the merlot lover - Z had some vintage of Montiano for $22 as well as solid vintages of Latour a Pomerol for $58 in that email as well.