Question about online sites and sales tax

That seem exceptionally civilized.

-Al

Sales tax isn’t charged, it is collected .

nice living in a state where there is no ST.

Shipments to this region (OR) require an excise tax of $.77 per 1 gallon on offsite sales of wine greater than or equal to 14.001% alcohol due within 20 days after every month. Note: There is a tax exemption for the first 40,000 gallons of wine sold annually in Oregon by a Licensed United States Manufacturer producing less than 100,000 gallons annually.

Sparkling and cider:
Shipments to this region (OR) require an excise tax of $.67 per 1 gallon on offsite sales of wine less than or equal to 14% alcohol due within 20 days after every month. Note: There is a tax exemption for the first 40,000 gallons of wine sold annually in Oregon by a Licensed United States Manufacturer producing less than 100,000 gallons annually.

Product Type Sale Type Alcohol % Rate
Beer Offsite (any) $2.6000 per Barrel
Wine Offsite 0.0% - 14.0% $0.6700 per Gallon
Wine Offsite 0.0% - 8.5% $2.6000 per Barrel
Wine Offsite 14.0% or greater $0.7700 per Gallon
Beer Onsite (any) $2.6000 per Barrel
Wine Onsite 0.0% - 14.0% $0.6700 per Gallon
Wine Onsite 0.0% - 8.5% $2.6000 per Barrel
Wine Onsite 14.0% or greater $0.7700 per Gallon

Al run for congress. You will be a trusted politician.

Rudy never charged me for sales tax. Should I be grateful?

Hell ya!

Amazon has warehouses everywhere, or so it seems. The physical presence typically triggers the collection of sales tax.
I think wine shops collecting the sales tax due locally has more to do with laying the risk of “illegal” shipments off on the buyer. I find this reasonable.

Yes, they used to have warehouses in only a few states to avoid the nexus. Then they decided more local warehouses would help with rapid delivery and that compensate for any potential loss in demand from consumers when they were charged sales tax.

-Al