Question about flying with a wine that has been sampled with a Coravin

Every post on this board is a “first world” post, duh [rofl.gif]

A couple additional comments.

• I’ve noticed sometimes wine will drop a little over a couple of days after using the coravin so I would do your sampling a week or more before your trip to make sure the corks have sealed back up.
  • Make sure you don’t leave any extra gas in the bottle (i.e. let your pour drain out completely before releasing the button).
  • As someone else mentioned, use those wine traveler sealable bubble wrap bags just in case a few drops leak out.

Agree with others this shouldn’t be a problem and would be interested to hear how it goes. No need for a “control” set of bottles as most of us have traveled with wine without any issues.

Cheers!

I always send bottles via UPS ahead of me to hotels a week or so before I get there. I routinely coravin bottles to be sure I’m not sending anything corked or premoxed. Never had a single issue, even with 30 years of age.

Interesting, had never thought of this. Thanks for sharing.

Mike, I suspect you will be fine. My only concern would be if a lot of the wine were removed and exchanged for Argon, leaving a greater relative amount of gas in the bottle subject to Boyle’s law. Maybe that could pop a cork at altitude. The tiny taste you are mentioning, I highly doubt would be a problem. I don’t see the cork leaking from the hole as a real fear. Your idea of tasting it via Coravin has never occurred to me before, but I like it. Good luck!

Thread drift…

Have you figured out a way to Coravin a 30 year old bottle with sediment without disturbing the sediment?

To start I always stand the bottle up a week or two before, giving it a hard bang to try and dislodge any sediment on the sides. Then just pour carefully and slowly. If it’s only a glass never had any sediment. If you’re talking half the bottle no way to prevent it.

Thanks David. That’s a good plan for a single sample. I’ve had trouble trying to Coravin more than a single pour at a time.