QPR Benchmark wines

Great question, thanks for posting. I know a number of good wines that are cheap but not specific to a place. Adding that factor made me think a bit. Obviously, “place” is a term where size is relative so pardon any liberties taken below:

Best answer: William Fevre Champs Royeaux at $20. Just nails Chablis for me

• one of my favorite QPR of all time is called Black Slate Porrera ($15-20). I find it to contain the most complexity of any wine under $20. Not sure if it’s everything priorat is supposed to be but I’ve had cases of it. Mas d’en Comte kills at $10, and perhaps is more suggestive of the region.
    For rioja, Lopez de Heredia’s Vina Cubillo is really great at $20-25. In fact, I’ll make a less than risky claim that Spain as a whole boasts the greatest QPR of any region and maintains recognizable stylistic differences

• I like domaine carneros PN for Carneros around $30 and have been able to identify it blind in a group of other pinots

• Same story for Au Bon Climat Santa Barbara County at $20

• go a little north and Joseph Swan Cuvée de trois is in the discussion at $30

• Ramey Sonoma chard at $30-35

• I really like hartford court RRV zin at $30 — it’s a toss up between that and ridge Lytton springs but I think the ridge shows more of a a house style

• you guys know who Mike Smith is, right?

To the above posts:

• I totally agree with MCK for Washington syrah at $30
  • have had several donhoff entry ($20) and prum spatlese ($30) and both are shining examples of why riesling is delicious, great picks.

Hansel Cuvee Alyce Chardonnay

In terms of absolute QPR, I’m always amazed at the quality of Jadot Beaujolais which I buy for $7.49 at Safeway.

Within the context of what he does, Sparky is a genius.

I hope he lands on his feet, and gets back to work crafting something new for us all to enjoy.

I’ve heard there are benchmark wines for sommelier certifications, that might be a good starting point if you can find out what they are. I was told, can’t verify, that Rodano Chianti is one of them.

Pepiere Clos de Briords Muscadet.

Cantermerle - Medoc/Bordeaux
Baudry Les Grezeaux - Loire Cab Franc
Bedrock OV Zin - Zin
Thivin - Beaujolais
Prum Kabinetts - Riesling

That’s very interesting, I’d never thought of that. Maybe someone will chime in with a list, you wouldn’t think it should be top secret.

There are a lot of good choices so far. For California Sparkling wine, I would nominate the Roederer Estate Anderson Valley Brut for around $20.

Thanks,
Ed

Certainly.

Beaujolais Nouveau

Alan, I agree the Coudoulet is a great value and I enjoy this wine very. However, is it truly a CDP? I was always told it is a Cotes Du Rhone that drinks as good or better than many CDP’s. With that in mind I’d nominate the Rayas family of Cotes Du Rhones:

Domaine des Tours
Chateau des Tours
La Pialade
Chateau de Fonsalette (CDP blend)
Chateau de Fonsalette (Syrah)

Zilliken Saarberger Rausch Kabinett or Spatlese
Ridge Geyserville
Bernard Moreau Bourgogne Blanc
Domaine Dublere Bourgogne Blanc
Hudelot-Noellat Bourgogne Rouge
Domaine Dublere Chorey les Beaune
Christian Moreau Chablis Vaillons
Produttori Barbaresco
Mastroberardino Taurasi

Add their Rose

Assyrtiko from Sigalas, Hatzidakis, Argyros, or Gaia.

So far my best QPRs are Produttori Langhe Nebbiolo and La Rioja Alta Vina Alberdi.

I also like Château La Vieille Cure when I can get it around $25
For Syrah, I like Owen Roe Syrah Ex Umbris

I will look for the chablis mentioned above.

Valdespina Innocente Fino
Feudo Montoni Nero d’Avola Langusa
Clos Floridene BDX Blanc
Clos Haut Peyraguey Sauternes
Ridge Sonoma Zins

Olga Raffault Chinon “Les Picasses”, cheap as heck, ages forever, nails the tomato-stem Loire CF to a t.

QPR for Sancerre - Gerard Boulay “Chavignol”, his wines only get better from there

Benchmark for Picpoul de Pinet - Domaine Felines Jordan , and for ~$10 also a QPR

From what I just checked out the CMS does not have a list and the forum on Guildsomm the question is asked often and the response is there is no list.